Why do most SDR web receivers usually suck?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Dec 27, 2015.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I’ve' been using some of the SDR receivers on the web over the holidays here and it seems like the majority of them are really unreliable. Today two of them are down and the rest are having problems every now and then. I think most of them are just at other hams stations and are not professionally done like on a commercial tower designed to be up 24/7 365 days a year like a repeater. That really SUCKS! You are at the mercy of those Hams who are doing it.

Anyway, this needs to change. Maybe the AMI groups around the country should gather up donations or create paid membership and start setting up reliable receivers by people who know what they are doing that would be reliable and always there.

Just a thought or suggestion…

2. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Don't know how to respond to your question, Brian. I am assuming you are referring to those web connected receivers. I think some of it has to do with the web connection. Perhaps there is traffic problems where requests from various "customers" are colliding with each other. I'm sure you are not referring to SDR receivers in general. My Flex 1500 and Flex 5000 have exceptional performance.

Al

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Hi Al,

What I meant was many of those receivers are not always online. They are up for a few days or more and then they are gone. Then some of them come back until they are gone again. You are at the mercy of the hams who are doing it and the majority of them never last.

4. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Now I get it. I suppose it takes s constant maintenance and the money just isn't there for a guy to stay on top of things. I'm inclined to think the time frame you were trying to use it might have been a high demand time. I hope you didn't have to send them too much money

Al

5. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I use the NC9RS 900 Mhz system a lot and it amazing how much work is evolved in keeping the system up and running it is amateur radio by the way.
    We have one local machine on Sunol ridge (the machine I use) that's connected to the NC9RS system which keeps going down (Time out issues) I just wish the sysop would allow some competent person whose close by to work on the issue, but no joy yet. So Brian I feel your frustration but it is AMATEUR radio with amateur being the key word.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

No, I would never send them any money unless there was some kind of a joint AM club effort. Most of those receivers are just at the typical ham station at the operating position and after they get tired of leaving them on and/or go on vacation or have bad weather conditions they get turned off. Then after the fad or novelty finally wears off they go away permanently. It's just like the one or two I had linked to this board a few years ago, they never lasted nor were they very reliable. It’s also like most websites hams put up, they never last either.

Some of those receivers do stay up though and may be club maintained, but it’s only a small handful.

7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Guest

I tried a few. By reading descriptions, seems like most had subpar antennas. Judging by their receive performance...they weren't kidding.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

A lot of those online SDR receivers use Mini-Whip antennas that are basically an active antenna inside of a short PVC tube with caps on each end. The antenna part is just a very short pad on a rectangle piece of copper FR4 board and is tuned to work from like 10kc to 30Mc or higher and I'm serious. All from that tiny active antenna. That's why many of those receivers are very bad about picking up image, IMD and all other kinds of interference from all over the place. They receive great, but they are so broad they just cannot reject any strong nearby interference. That's another reason why many online SDR receivers suck.

mini_whip.jpg