WA3PUN a SK

Discussion in 'Chat' started by WD5JKO, Dec 13, 2014.

1. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

My ham radio career began when I was a W8 in Michigan back in the early 1970's. Back then Ed Bolton, WA3PUN had a big presence on 75m AM. He was hilarious to listen to with his Amos and Andy impersonations. In later years Ed talked to Otis K5SWK many times on 75 meter nights. Otis and Ed were good friends.

According to QRZ, Ed became a SK November 30th this year. Doing a little digging, he may have passed in a unhappy place.

http://www.witf.org/news/2014/12/central-pennsylvania-inmates-death-investigated.php

Anybody know what happened, or care to tell the story about Uncle Ed?

Jim
    Wd5JKO

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

There's also this video. You just never know about some of the nerdy hams out there. Many of them are so awarked they never marry and I'm sure he isn't or wasn't the only P.O.S. pervert AM'er among us ::)

3. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

That was a nice video. I remember Larry W3CIC talking on his BC-610. He had great audio. I wonder what WD4AM's old callsign was back in the 60's and 70's?

I am not jumping to conclusions. He could be a victim of circumstances. For example, I know several hams that are retired. They often stay in their pajamas all day long if they are not going anywhere. Then there is the door bell.....he opens the door and there is a girl selling girl scout cookies with her mom standing behind her. The OM hasn't his top tucked in, and things are somewhat exposed. The girl is shocked, the mom horrified, and here comes the cops.

Look at Pa section 3126a8

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.031.026.000..HTM

Could be just that..Guilty with no way to prove otherwise.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Do you actually believe that?

Registered sex offenders have already been convicted of those crimes. I bet if you signed up for an account with that new website called instant checkmate and paid the membership fee and got all of his criminal history you probably wouldn't like what you find. Don't know how long that website will remain because I'm sure there are privacy groups already screaming bloody murder. The site just went online recently and you can get any info on anybody. It may remain though and it took them years to shutdown The Pirate Bay which just finally happened last week. Same thing happened with MegaUpload, it took them forever. I think the outcome with this one may be different though because most of that info is already public domain. The site just knows where to find all of it for you instantly.

5. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Well not really. I was just wishing there was another explanation. With the scenario I mentioned, an accusation from a soccer mom could put the OM in prison until dead. Looking around those SO sites, a lot of them have multiple offenses. Ed has just one. But you are right, there are a lot of perv's out there.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Anything is possible, but I don't think one incident of accidental exposure would put someone in jail if they never had any criminal past or record of doing the same. The worst thing would be spending one night until everything thing was cleared and the misunderstanding resolved.

I decided to try instant checkmate for one month just to see what I could find, but only that one record showed up for him. However, all of the criminal records don't go back that far. They only go back as far as the early 2000's, like 2004, 2005, etc. Anything before that like from the 1990's and earlier is not going to show up.

Anyway, I did track down one of my old radio buddies I knew back in Tulsa too, but I found out he died back in 2005 :'(. I had lost track of him back in the mid 1980's then when I stopped by his house in the early 90's someone else was living there. I never could find out where he moved too. He no longer showed up in the local phone book. Apparently from the records he moved to Arizona and then died in 2005. He was only 68 years old. I did find his wife and son still listed as living in Tulsa so I'm going to call her up when I have time to find out what happened. I think they probably were divorced then he moved away. If you pay the extra $19 you can get their DL and SS numbers including bankruptcy reports, etc.

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Jim,

This sort of falls into the same category. Remember a few years ago when we were talking about some of the old AM'ers from 3880 and what had happened to them, etc.? Remember I told you about the one with the N5 call in Norman, OK and that he got out of ham radio, let his license expire, and stated on the Internet real heavy with streaming video, etc.

Well, this is what happened to him: http://www.ah-me.com

In the early days that stuff was pretty lucrative, but it looks like he's still maybe going at it. You just never know about some people I guess :lol: He started that domain back in the late 1990's / early 2000's. Not sure if he's still the one doing it now or not, but it's still going nevertheless.

My advice is don't let your kids or grandkids ever hang around with any of your radio buddies.

8. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Brian, you mean the guy that would say over and over, "Oh-Me"?

I clicked that link you posted, and now I think I need to format my hard drive.....Pretty easy to get some inappropriate images on your computer, and then go to jail for them just being there...Maybe that happened to Ed? I need to be more careful.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

No, you won't go to jail for going there and yes, N5AVU. And it was Ah-Me not Oh-Me.

I had emailed him about a year or so after to moving to CA and he was already into that stuff from his reply. That was the last time I ever spoke with him and his ham ticket expired years ago in 2004.

10. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Was he the one that was rebroadcasting a local Oklahoma AM broadcast station on 3880? :icon_eh:

Jim
    Wd5JKO

11. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Not that I know of. He knew all of the guys down in TX though and was on there for years. What he told me was someone broke into his house in Norman and stole all of his radio gear including the Globe King 500. He never got back into it after that and just went the Internet route. That's what he told me back around in 2001/02. Never heard from him again.

12. KA5CFW

KA5CFW Member

I knew Ed Bolton, WA3PUN, around 1976-1978. I picked up his AM QSO when I lived outside Chicago. I ended up calling him and Ed's 'Elmer' interest was pretty strong. I wasn't financially or geographically capable to enter ham radio at the time, but this did not stop the phone calls. I learned that he was partially employed as a part-time school teacher, a job that allowed him to show a 16mm print he had to young audiences, a print that showed his appearance on the Johnny Carson show in which Ed sang classical songs with his dog who howled along. (Johnny loved it.) Ed was known for his interest in big bands, several of his 40 meter friends were musicians, a few were terribly racist as to how they behaved on the phone, blaming the downfall of civilization to, well you can figure it out. Ed, though, was just a square who loved tube rigs, opera, and AM.

He used to imitate people like Henry Kissinger and Liberace and other celebrities. A newspaper reporter in Florida heard Ed one night and Ed had invited 'Henry' into his shack. 'Henry' explained that he had a hobbyist interest in ham radio and was planning to study for his ticket. Well, this reporter fell for it and Ed got newspaper coverage in Florida...something Ed relished.

Ed was on for hours each night on 75 meters. Some of us Chicagoans who knew Ed through radio wondered how Ed was able to keep things going with just his wife having a job at a department store. But Ed was seriously into the hobby. So much that he became very amusing when he (rarely) became done in by his elderberry wine. That, and a fellow ham mailed a marijuana joint to Ed and Ed smoked it before doing a 75 meter QSO that went to 4 AM. Ed was very very funny that night, doing imitations of people for the first time and getting jokes perfectly. He ended his broadcast by doing the National Anthem in which he sang and added sound effects of flying jets and cannon firing. ( I lost all my cassettes, sorry to say.)

I was sorry to hear of Ed's passing. It sounded, though, that he pursued his hobby of ham radio until his end years, gaining access to more scripts of Amos and Andy shows, something that he enjoyed imitating.

I don't know if privately anyone holds any information on Ed's last years that they might feel free to send to me through private email. I would appreciate it, as there seems to be some material going around the forum about Ed getting in trouble. If you do have any information, please share it, if you can, by emailing me at capofrank@yahoo.com. I would greatly appreciate anyone taking the time.

Best wishes and 73, Frank Kennedy, KA5CFW

13. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I posted this in the Announcements forum, but I found out that Ken Monical, N5AVU in Norman Oklahoma who was referenced in this topic actually died back in September 2013. He was really active on 75-meter AM on 3880 in the 1980's and throughout most on the 90's. It's possible his health had something to do with it too besides the stuff I already mentioned here. He had replied to an email I sent him back around 2001-2002 and that's the last time I ever heard from him. He was only 60-years old.

His obituary is below...

http://obituaries.normantranscript.com/story/kenneth-monical-1953-2013-745032952

Also the record of his expired ticket can be found below...

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=698346

Ken was famous for the Ah... Me's... whenever his was on the air.

In person he was somewhat scruffy and acted a little crazy on the air, but he was a really intelligent guy despite the impression he often gave. I had worked him on 75-meters for the last time one night about a year or two before I moved to California and I remember him telling me he was spending a lot of time back at the college again. I think that was right before someone broke into his house and stole most of his gear.

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Jim

I updated your link in this threads starter post because it had long since expired, maybe there is another one for his arrest record back then. However, if you go to that link he did die in his cell so you were right. "Doing a little digging, he may have passed in a unhappy place." Either he died of natural causes or another inmate killed him which is likely.

Written by The Associated Press | Dec 1, 2014 5:37 AM

(Harrisburg) -- Authorities in a central Pennsylvania county are investigating the death of an 83-year-old prison inmate.

Investigators say James Bolton was found dead early Sunday morning in his cell in Dauphin County Prison.

Bolton had been an inmate there since January 2013. He was arrested in 2011 and pleaded guilty to charges of indecent assault on a person under 16, corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor. He had been sentenced to 6 to 23 months in prison.

The county coroner's office plans an autopsy.

15. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Something in this article sure jumps out at me. Evelyn Watkins, Ed's grand daughter is now 20 years old.

edbolton2007march.jpg

Jim
    Wd5JKO

16. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Not only that, but that article I found said he pleaded guilty to charges of indecent assault on a person under 16, corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor so it was true and not just some accident.

We'll never know all the details for certain, but it's pretty damming nevertheless.

17. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

From link in 1st post:
    "Bolton had been an inmate there since January 2013. He was arrested in 2011 and pleaded guilty to charges of indecent assault on a person under 16, corruption of minors and unlawful contact with a minor. He had been sentenced to 6 to 23 months in prison."

His Grand daughter at the age of 10 was living with him in 2007 (as per newspaper article above). In 2011, 4 years later Ed was arrested. She would have been 14 then. I cannot say much more than that.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

18. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

19. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

I just cannot believe it's that straight forward. It could have been undiagnosed dementia. Too bad someone doesn't come to the rescue of his name. How much of a family does he leave? He left so much to the community at large.

20. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Yes he did, look at these examples:

edboltonnews2006.jpg

Jim
    Wd5JKO

21. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

There will always be people out there you think you know that have secrets and they will often surprise you if the truth ever comes out.

My take on this... the fact he plead guilty to the charges pretty much tells me he was guilty as hell, unless he had a bad public defender. The odds of that being true though are slim.

The only real question is did he kill himself in his cell or did he die of natural causes? Or, did another inmate kill him because they considered him to be a child sex predator. That's also a very strong possibility.

None of us will ever know for certain, but I think his guilt can never be defended regardless. He was probably a horny old nerd who was alone and he took advange of a situation to get relief. That's probably the bottom line and the truth.