Transformer question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by W6MQI, May 31, 2017.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

What does grounding W.V. marked on this transformer mean? Pins 3-5 are 2000Vct, but if W.V. is grounded pins 3-5 are now 2300v? Am I reading this right? There are no tap's on the other side marked W.V.

20170405_172229.jpg

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I could be wrong, but I think that means the Withstand Voltage to the grounded core. It's like when they do Hipot testing and they apply excessive voltages to the windings to see where the breakdown level is before it shorts to the core or iron.

Again, I could be wrong. If so maybe someone else will correct me on it, but I thinks that's what it means.

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

You might be right Brian on this, but sure seems like a mil grade transformer would be able to take more than 300v over voltage before shorting to core. Those other L.V. taps sure can take a beating I guess because of the wire size, which probably answers the question on the H.V. winding. I was kinda hoping to run this xmfr at 123vac (My line voltage) instead of 115vac looks like I better watch the H.V. side there's not much head room to play with.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Not via the main HV winding. That was usually the max determination for the hipot ratings. Look at what it says about pins 6 and 7, it says 714V max. That's a 5V winding so think about it.

I'm pretty sure it means Withstand Voltage, however, if someone else has other information I'm open to listen and accept it.