The Rolling Stones "secret session" from someone who was there.

Discussion in 'Music' started by K4TQF, Dec 31, 2017.

1. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

I used to repair Jim's equipment when I lived in Memphis. The Stones story starts around 1:29:00

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

No video or link in your post.

3. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

"No video or link in your post" Dumbass at work..

The way Jim tells it, they had a few days left on their 1969 American tour. Back then the union would let you get a performing permit or a recording permit, but not both. They wanted to record in Memphis, but would have been instantly recognized and pandemonium would have ensued. Not to mention that they were violating union rules. So, Where to go? How about Muscle Shoals, Alabama?. Nobody would recognize them down there. So Dickinson was called by Stanley Booth to come down and play on the session.
    Great story.

4. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Jim Dickinson on recording with of the Stones in Muscle Shoals.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Old, old, old, news. Some of the scenes from the Muscle Shoals sessions first appeared in the Gimmie Shelter movie right after the Altamont disaster.

If I'm not mistaken isn't that Jim sitting next to Keith in the pic below?
    Untitled.png

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

You know, the thing many people never knew or just never will know is the Stones were always about the groove, but you had to know how to find it. It's there in those recordings and it was total perfection, just play the first track from the Exile on Main Street LP or CD for example.

The groove...

Hint, you have to slow down :icon_angel: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

7. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Back in the 70's, I was talking to Sam Phillips about recording. He told me the story about John Prine coming into Phillips studio to record. They were working on the song "Saigon" . They called Sam at home and asked for his help as they just couldn't get it right. His son Knox was producing/engineering. So Sam shows up at the studio and has a listen. He then turned to Prine and asked, "do you know what half speed is? Well...play it half of that !""

Yes, that is Jim on the couch.