The Other AM Board

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Jun 1, 2015.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I've noticed the other AM board is starting to crap out more and more. Today it's reporting the error Table './db469901217/smf_sessions' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed.

What's happening is the hosting company has been restarting the server for whatever reason which is crashing their database because its not shunting it down and saving everything properly first. It should never do that, but their SMF and SQL install is so old and out of date that it probably won't last much longer until the board goes down permanent. It's only a matter of time unless they completely redo the board. A lot of those older SMF and SQL installs are not compatible with the newer versions of php, but that's only part of it. The more the hosting company updates the server the worse the problem is going to become.

Anyway, they will find out when it eventually crashes to the point where they cannot bring it back :biggrin:

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Looks like the other board is still down :icon_problem:

Well people have two choices, they either come here or go to qrz.com. Take your pick 8)

Whatever the choice is just remember one thing. In 2020 when this board is still here and fully mobile compatible don't complain because you decided to go to qrz.com and not here instead.

73's

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Guest

All the good folks are gone anyway, so I won't mourn when it does melt down permanently.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Most have either died or just had really strong personalities and became upset and left. Same thing happened here, but I forced a few of them to leave.

Then you had people like Don, K4KYV who I think just became bored or tired with all the technical discussions. I mean how may times can you tell someone about modulation transformers or OWL before it gets really old and pointless? I think that's why he stays in the qrz ragchew forum now. He did the same thing when he was here.

5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Guest

I have a strong personality as well. You have to be so equipped when your bride and chillrens are red-headed in order to survive.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I know all about red-heads :icon_shh:

Anyway, it just seems like many of the old guys would rather rant and rave about HOA's or what other silly things people are doing today. I would think after a while that would get old and pointless too. I mean how many times can you complain about HOA's or what city is trying to outlaw ham radio and/or radio towers and antennas?

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Looks like they finally got it back up, for now..

I did post today on qrz.com for the first time in a very long while in regards to the other board and WTF is the deal with the HEIL banner across the top of the pages? Is that board so desperate they have to receive advertising payments from assholes like Heil to keep it going? Do people nowadays just not have any balls left anymore? Is that what it is?

That's the one thing I have never done nor will ever do is place a bunch of advertising garage on the board. Yeah, I could make a little money to help pay for the board, but, NO WAY! Heck even AMfone does a similar thing with advertising, but that Heil shit takes the cake.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I made a post on AMfone and it only took about 5 minutes before it was deleted :lol:

Has anyone here said anything about conspiracies?

9. RCA3

RCA3 Member

Dead again as of this am and a few ago...

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a curse or bad juju...

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I could fix the problem in probably less than 30 minutes leaving all data intact and with the proper updated php code within all of the SMF files. It would remove all hooks and customization, but it would be like a brand new board again.

The only other issue is eventually trying to convert everything to SMF 2.x, but v1.x is not upgradable to v2.x so it's a lot of manual DB conversion and importing it into a clean v2.x install after.

Anyway, those guys don't have the knowledge or a clue which is probably a good thing. The sooner that board crashes and burns away into oblivion the better off the AM community will be as a whole I think.

11. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I see the owner finally acknowledged there might be something wrong with the MkPortal. Ya think? ::) Isn't that what I said over on qrz.com?

One of two things happened, the hosting company either updated the version of php on the server or they were moved to another server with a newer version and their old outdated MkPortal and SMF php code suddenly became no longer compatible. You can't just leave a board the same for 13+ years and not expect time to creep up on you.

Not only that, but have you ever looked at amfone on a mobile device such as a smartphone?. It looks horrible and it's primarily due to that old portal. Portals are becoming a thing of the past and they were a replacement for iframes which went away long ago, but even portals are almost obsolete now. Everything is moving towards responsive themes that are mobile compatible to where everything looks normal whether you are on a old desktop computer at home or on a mobile device.

It's like those guys are still catering to people using late 1980's early 1990 PC's with heavy CRT monitors setup for 640 X 480 resolution.

12. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Guest

Phrases bandied about……conspiracy from tin foil hatters, social media types, etc. The site is band-aided together at this moment…still errors. How long can one sail with 2 x 4 mattresses stuffed into the torpedo holes?? AND….they deny up and down the site is in decline.

13. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Guest

It's the tin foil hat social media types that are the blame!