Recent Lunar Eclipse pics

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W1VTP, Oct 4, 2015.

1. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

I don't know how this happened but I neglected to post the pictures I took of the recent lunar eclipse. Some of you guys may have had overcast skies or had something get in the say sched-wise.

Here are just a few of the pics. I took over 40 pictures with my Nikon D7000

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I still have my old telescope, but have not used it in years. I had a few filters for viewing the moon like the green one, but what were you using? Was it a special red filter or was that just the natural color because of the eclipse?
  3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Member

That's exactly how it appeared to my unaided eyes.

I couldn't be bothered to set up my scope that late on a Sunday night. In fact, I can't remember the last time I set it up. It seems like all it does is get in the way. :'(
  4. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

That was my Nikon D7000 (click here for info on the D7000 ) using a Nikon 55-300 zoom with image stabilization (450, 35mm equivalent) lens. I had to underexpose by -5 EF because the moo n was so bright. That total eclipse red shift was normal and is the result of the earth's atmosphere.

I didn't upload the totality picture as the light was so dim that my camera had to jump through all kind of hoops to get the focus (which it did) and then the exposure. I didn't have a cable for the camera so I had to rely on the anti-shake function which saved my bacon, so to speak. I think the camera did a good job considering the lack of expertise by the operator (me). The tripod was a Manfrotto Bogen 3021 pro-grade with the Manfrotto 3030 head.

Here's the totality picture.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Oh, those were just taken with your camera?

Come to think of it, if they were taken through a telescope then resolution and magnification would be about 50 times better.

Makes sense now...
  6. KE5YTV

KE5YTV Guest

Wow, Al those are great shots. Here in Dallas we had a thin broken cloud layer. I saw a little here but watched the rest live on

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Member

We had complete cloud cover, but there were several breaks in the clouds that allowed me to see the whole progression. I was surprised. Usually when something's happening in the sky, we just get complete cloud cover.