Realistic/Elac Miracord 46

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by W5HRO, Dec 27, 2017.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Has anyone come across one of these old Miracord 46's lately? It was made in Germany by Elac, but it was also sold by Radio Shack back in the early 1970's for a short while. I had one for years that I bought new from Radio Shack back then and it was my most favorite turntable.

Miracord_46 .jpg

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Holy cow, found a old photo of that old turntable from 1974 with many Stone's posters on my wall. Taken right after Goat Heads Soup came out. Notice the gold colored paint on the wall from the 70's decor ::)

IMG_2665.jpg

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Actually, now think that photo I posted with the old Miracord 46 turntable was from December 1973, almost 74. Someone gave me a modern Polaroid camera that Christmas and I used it to take the photo. I remember because that next coming summer in 1974 I acquired a pair of McIntosh MC-60 power amps and a C-22 preamp and I used the turntable for years into the C-22 until I sold it all in the mid 1980’s along with my Teac reel-to-reel stuff.

The workbench in that photo I had originally bought for my tube ham gear in 1970 because I did a lot of work on my equipment and a lot of CB repair and modifications for people back then. Then when the CB craze peaked it the mid 70’s the workbench became for that again and I moved the stereo equipment to a coffee table against the wall across the room.

I actually searched around and found one or two Miracord 46’s for sale along with a bunch of Elac’s. The Elac’s themselves never looked as nice, because the one from Radio Shack had the nicest looking base and overall appearance. The Radio Shack’s may have used a lower grade motor and mechanical components on the bottom side compared to the Elac’s but I’m not certain. Will have to do some more research.