PDF to text ? OCR?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by K4TQF, Feb 8, 2016.

1. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Anybody here know of a program to convert a scanned .pdf to plain text?

I contacted Uof A yesterday and they sent me a copy of Loy E. Barton's paper "A Plate Modulation Transformer for Broadcasting Stations". Unfortunately the PDF is a scanned image. So I can't do anything with it. Adobe wants $14.95 / month to sign up for Adobe pro. I think I have heard of a technique called "backscatter" that will allow scanned image characters to be recognized by web pages and search engines.

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

How big is the file? If less than 128MB send it to me via PM and I will try to convert it.

3. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Brian:
    It's 4 meg. I just tried 2 online OCR converters and they didn't work. Adobe will only give me the first page.
    TNX, MD

you have a PM

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Unfortunately you are shit-out-of-luck with this one.

I looked at it and about the only thing you can do is export them as separate jpg images, crop each to one to separate images then import it back to a pdf document again. There is no way you can OCR all of the formulas and etc. It just will not work. All you can do is clean it up into separate scanned pages to make it look better and that’s about it. Some of the text will OCR, but only bits and pieces of it.

5. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

I figgered...

Thanks

6. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

I didn't get a chance at it but here's what I can do. I just took a receipt of a purchase and substituted all the numerical values with "#" Depends how the document was scanned. If it was scanned as a photo and then converted to PDF maybe not. If it was converted to PDF by a program like WordPerfect then it can be edited

Attached Files:

7. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Brian

That's the way to go

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

This is about as good as you are going to get it.

Attached Files:

9. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

That's great, thanks ! I have his original patent and have submitted a request for his 1925 Master's thesis. I also have several copies of RCA Broadcast news and QST articles authored by Loy Barton. When I get the thesis, I will compile all and send them to LULU.com for printing & binding. I'll post the PDF files on AMNA.
    Thanks, again..