Old Commercials That Would Be "Politically Incorrect" Today

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Dec 27, 2017.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I found this on another board :lol:

2. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Damn I remember a lot of those surprised there wasn't a Sambo's restaurant commercial in there. We had one here in Livermore for years until someone got their underwear in a pinch over the name, what sad world we live in now.

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I miss the Funny Face drink powder. Rootin-Tootin Raspberry and Chinese Cherry were my favorites. I forgot about Injun Orange :lol:

4. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

These new California gun laws are really pissing me off not to mention all the other wacker laws DAMN IT! I'm really starting to hate this state. Just a few more years 3-4 I hope then I can walk out with my middle finger waving high. Brian you better start looking into Texas get the hell out while you can.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Yeah, it's really nothing new, back in 1966 for example Pillsbury was sued by a group of Native Americans and Injun Orange was renamed to Jolly Olly Orange and Chinese Cherry was renamed to Choo-Choo Cherry. This type of lack of common sense shit started a long time ago.

Here's the commercial that was banned shortly after.

Their mistake was when they started the themes referencing back to the old story of Little Black Sambo, the book and cartoons from the 1930's. The "Tiger Club” deals? If they hadn't started doing that then just the name Sambo's itself wouldn't have had any legal consequences. However, the original Sambo's restaurant in Santa Barbara is still there and in business and I've eaten there twice in the past 10 years.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Wonder what would happen if they tried to show this in the classroom again today?

Or if Burger King tried to put this on a billboard again today :lol:

Untitled.png