Nice weather for a bike ride

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W6MQI, Apr 16, 2016.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Took a few pictures of my ride today at Del Valle reservoir about 3 miles south of my QTH.
    First picture is looking north towards Mt. Diablo the twin peaks just right of center at just over 4000'
    Second picture looking south towards the lake which is nice a full now.
    Nice place to ride this time a year during the summer though its like an oven out there not a place to ride unless one has gallons of water to take along.

73, Dave

20160416_120734.jpg 20160416_120756.jpg 20160416_121646.jpg 20160416_121651.jpg

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Looks good... I spent the day outside digging all of the grass up (or what was left of it) on one side of the driveway along with knocking down the rest of the crappy rotted dividing fence. I'm going to eliminate the grass here in front on both sides.

I want to have someone come out and make this side below concrete and part of the driveway.

side.jpg

Anyway, should be around 90 tomorrow and maybe even hotter, but it will probably be an ALEVE popping day for me after doing everything I did today. My back already hurts.

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Sucks getting older I'm in fairly good shape for my age (57) I've always done physical work all my life. There are times though I try to keep up with the younger crowd, and boy do pay for it the next day sometimes that day gotta keep that ADVIL close by.

Need to do that as well at my place only there is a stump from a old tree that needs grinding out first. Had one guy come out, but he chickened out because of the buried power lines, phone, and gas line. Need to call USA and have a survey done to find every thing before grinding.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It's supposed to warm up again this weekend, but be really windy at least tomorow (Sat). Then 86 and sunny on Sunday.

Have you ever done any riding or hiking there at the old Black Diamond Mines location? We plan to drive back over there in the next few weeks to hike again. Have not been there since last spring. That place is sort of a hidden jewel.

0.gif
    3.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

5. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Brian,
    I had a mt.bike race at Black Diamond back in the early 90's haven't been back since all I remember is it was hot and dusty. From the looks of your pictures it does look nice I will have to plan a visit sometime soon. There are so many nice parks around here it could take a person a long time to explore them all. Mt.Diablo in general has miles of trails I've had some epic rides up there just remember to stay clear of the wild pigs that roam around some of the areas. Del Valle is in my back yard so I tend to be lazy and ride a lot there for convenience only thing is I really wouldn't recommend Del Valle during the summer months because of the crowds at the beach areas are rather nasty.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Have not been to Mt. Diablo yet. It's one we always planned to do, but that's all over on the east side. We came across the Black Diamond Mines by accident one day and then went back again last spring early in the morning at got there right at 8am, but it was really cold that morning.

We live just 3 miles away from Santa Teresa Park and the whole thing goes around for about 8 to 10-miles so we usually start there first in the spring.

Below is a pic looking back at the end of the valley only part of the way up.

Santa Teresa_1.jpg

Then below is a pic of the lake you pass by if you drive around the far south side to a sort of hidden entrance in Almaden.

Santa Teresa_2.jpg

Then there is another place we go on the fart west side of Palo Alto. You just take Page Mill road all the way west and then it starts wining up a little north until you reach two big preserves. The one on the left west side of the road is the Monte Bello Preserve and the one on the right side is the Skyline Ridge Preserve. Both of those preserves are huge.

Below is a quick pic of Monte Bello and it goes up, down, through and under everything for miles.

Monte Bello Preserve_1.jpg

Additional pic...

Monte Bello Preserve_2.jpg

Then the parts where it goes through and under...

Monte Bello Preserve_3.jpg

Then there is another place on the fart west side of Cupertino and Saratoga on the side were the Stevens Creek Reservoir is. There is a spot up high that on a clear day you can see the outline of San Francisco.

Stevens Creek Reservoir pic below

Stevens_Creek_Reservoir_1.jpg

Additional pic...

Stevens_Creek Reservoir_2.jpg

Anyway, will have to check out Mt. Diablo soon, but we will do the Black Diamond Mines thing again first, but you are right. There are tons of places around here in this part of California to do it. It's the best place in the state for it and probably why it is so much more expensive to live here compared to the rest of the state.

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Drove over to Black Diamond Mines early this morning and went for a hike. It was a little chilly, but we hiked for around 3 hours then drove back home. It's about a 1 hour and 15-minute drive from here.

In the second pic you can see the old cemetery way up there where those miners and their family members were buried back in the 1800’s from mining deaths and sickness, but for some reason the pic quality isn’t the greatest. I don’t think my iPhone camera had focused completely before I took it.

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0718.jpg IMG_0738.jpg IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0752.jpg IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0812.jpg

8. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Nice pictures looks like it was a bit blustery out those clouds in pictures 4, 5 are well rounded off in fact all most lenticular shaped. It looks like Mt. Diablo those clouds are over not sure though? Was there many people out walking almost looks like you had the place to yourselves.

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

The grass was a lot browner for this time of year though even with all of the rain we have had. A lot of it must have missed Antioch recently otherwise it would have been much greener.

We got there right at 8am and almost on the dot so we didn't have to pay to get in. If you get there at 8am like that then no one is usually in the booth at the entrance yet and it will "free today". Someone was in it though by the time we left.

There were a couple of big groups that showed up about the time we were leaving. It was a bit chilly and windy. I think one of the trials does go all the way to Mt. Diablo, but it would take hours to get there. Maybe an entire day. You would have to park your car there then have someone drive you to Black Diamond and drop you off because it’s too far to walk to Mt. Diablo then walk all the way back to Black Diamond again. You would die…