N5AVU, Ken Monical, SK

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Aug 31, 2015.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Found out that Ken Monical, N5AVU in Norman Oklahoma died back in September 2013. He let his license expire in 2004 after becoming bored with the hobby when the Internet started and after someone had broken into his home and stole most of his equipment, but he was really active on 75-meter AM on 3880 in the 1980's and throughout most on the 90's. It's possible his health had something to do with it as well. He had replied to an email I sent him back around 2001-2002 and that's the last time I ever heard from him. He was only 60 years old.

His obituary is below...

http://obituaries.normantranscript.com/story/kenneth-monical-1953-2013-745032952

Also the record of his expired ticket can be found below...

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=698346

Ken was famous for the Ah... Me's... whenever he was on the air.

In person he was somewhat scruffy and acted a little crazy on the air, but he was a really intelligent guy despite the impression he often gave. I had worked him on 75-meters for the last time one night about a year or two before I moved to California and I remember him telling me he was spending a lot of time back at the college again. I think that was right before they broke into his house and stole most of his gear.

Kenneth Edward Monical

Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 12:10 am

The Norman Transcript

Kenneth Edward Monical, 60, passed away at 12:15 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013, in Norman Regional Hospital. He was born May 2, 1953, in Oklahoma City to Bill and Margie Monical.

His father preceeded him in death on May 28, 1992.

He leaves his much beloved family; mother, Margie Monical of Norman; sister, P.J. Beckes of Norman; sister, Jaymee Selby of Sulphur; brother, Ronald Monical of Casiak, Calif.; and girfriend, Pat Store of Norman.

He was an alumni of University of Oklahoma and served in the U.S. Navy.

Services are pending with Affordable Cremations.