My new shack

Discussion in 'QSO' started by W6MQI, Jun 6, 2017.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I still have it, but it will probably be like 10 to 20-years before I get to it if ever. At this point it’s a total rebuild with major modifications. All of the iron and the cabinet is good except for the ugly McMartin crap on the outside which I was planning on eliminating anyway. Cannot stand the 1970's coffee vending machine look.

2. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

Brian, I was off the air from 2000 to 2009. I sold off a lot of stuff back in 2000 and I've regretted it. I have to say that I wish I had kept all of the equipment and parts I sold, even the Galaxy V. :icon_eh:

I've always loved the art and science of radio and anytime I've left I always come back. Part of what is enjoyable to me now is the people I meet both on the air and elsewhere and getting to know them. Especially the AMer's, they are a very interesting group of people. There's a great bunch of guys here in Arizona and the West coast.

My advice is get out for awhile if that's your wish, but be careful what you sell. You may wish you'd kept it when the interest returns. Anyway, that was my experience.

3. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

Dave the new ham shack looks great...any more progress on the interior?

By the way, I'm moving to the country. We found a smaller house on 1.2 acres near here. I'm considering putting up a workshop and adjoining ham radio room in the "back 40." I've done some smaller 12 x 16 type buildings before and I'm retired so I have the time. I was thinking standard 2x4 or 2x6 construction with shingled roof and maybe hiring someone to stucco the outside to match the house better. I'd also hire someone to put in the concrete slab. I'd do the rest. Footprint would be equivalent to 4 car garage. Sounds like a lot of work to do myself though. Any thoughts?

4. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

You want crusty? You got me - crusty

!!!CRUSTY OLD ME.jpg

5. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Hi guys I will try and post some more pictures of the shack this weekend work is so busy right now haven't much time for personal stuff lately.

Kelly,
    Not sure if your QTH gets that Death Valley heat like other parts of AZ, if so you might want to think about 2 x 6 walls with R-19, and R-38 in the ceiling seems excessive for a shop you may thank yourself in the long run. Foundation I'd go with a concrete slab you'll never have to worry about dry rot issues or bug collecting like AZ scorpions under your feet. The slab will probably be the most costly part of the project I did all the trenching, and forming myself then sub out the concrete pour to a friend of mine cost was around $2000.00+ a savings of around $4000.00-$5000.00. Roof construction is a conventional hip roof to lower the roof profile for the neighbor behind me this was a lot more work then just purchasing pre-made trusses go with trusses if you can it will save you lots of time. Also put a bathroom in if can could come in handy someday nothing worse then doing a mad dash back to the house hoping like hell you'll make it:redface:

6. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

I'm definitely doing a slab and I was going with gable ends for sure. I do not like the look of hip roofs. I'm planning on using either joists-rafters or with trusses for the roof.
    Definitely a good idea with me. Maybe add a shelf in there for a D-104 with a long cord. Don't want to miss my turn in the rotation. :mrgreen:

7. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I agree Kelly hip roofs aren't my first choice either I was just trying to be a good neighbor its bad enough they have to look at the antenna tower hihi. My final inspection is this morning its hit or miss on which inspector I get if its the new guy he'll look at every little nut and bolt the other guys I know real well, and they know my work so I usually cruse through with them.

8. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

How'd the inspection go?

9. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Were open for business :icon_thumbup: by the time final inspection comes around they already pretty much look at every thing anyway, so its just a few quick looks at the electrical, and we were good to go. I know I keep saying this I'll try and post some final pictures of the outside the inside is still a work in progress.
    One other thing already received the county assessor's letter asking the scope of work so they can raise my property taxes:twisted: Fuel just had a 20 cent per gallon tax added Tuesday, and in January 2018 vehicle registration is going up as well I'm getting real tired of this slow bleeding of my wallet in this state.

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Why didn't you just build it and not tell anyone? The bonus room on my house was never done with any permits and to this day they still have to old square footage number before the add-on listed in their records. My insurance has it listed, but not the county.

When I had my new furnace and AC installed we had asbestos wrapped around the old ducts and everything. Well, I wasn’t about to call the county so I told the guy I would take care of it before they came to do the installation. I bought a mask and removed it all myself and just stuffed it in trash bags and threw it way. I wasn’t about to let those wacko city and county people know and let them go completely overboard like they would have done with something that wasn’t even a hazard. I wasn’t that stupid.

11. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Pictures? As long as you don't want to sell it, no problem. In this area one can get away with most everything but before a sale can be made, there has to be an inspection.

GL es 73, Al

12. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

My bonus room was built back sometime in the 1980's and it had sold 2 or 3 times after and then when I bought it. That room was never an issue and the extra square footage is still not listed in the county records for the property.

The only time you have a problem is if you tell them. I told the insurance inspector to make sure they included it in my homeowners policy which they did, but they have no connection with the county.

13. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

There's no way I could have pulled off building this shed without a permit its way to large a project.
    1. There's a building inspector that lives down the street, and he's a real A hole too. He's nailed a few neighbors for various reasons a real nice guy.
    2. Since I work in the city as a building contractor pulling multiple building permits a year I don't think it would very professional to get caught building without a permit wouldn't look good at all. The last thing I need is to get on the city's shit list I've built a A+ standing with the city I don't need any bad remarks.
    3. It could be an issue when the property is sold all depends on who, and how much their realtor wants to push the issue.
    4. If there's ever a fire or some kind of damage to the un-permited section or structure not sure how your insurance would treat this.
    5. So if someone wants to add on to their home, remodel their kitchen etc without permits don't call me I won't do it.

There's still a lot of landscaping to do, and clean up to do inside as well I still don't know how my shack will be configured right now it looks like a bomb went off.

20171103_115044.jpg 20171103_115116.jpg 20171103_153250.jpg 20171103_153303.jpg

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Is this the ART-13 supply?

0.jpg

15. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

You mean that hideous mess:icon_crazy: yep its in test mode right now I have a metal cabinet coming so no it won't be like that for long. Don't worry I'll clean it up and make it safe just didn't want to build it into a cabinet then find out some thing was wrong in my design, nothing worse then butchering a nice metal cabinet because of a stupid mistake. So yea it look pretty hair ball right now but, it works!

16. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I have my shack all cleaned up now. I had to make room for the McIntosh stuff so I wound up cleaning up the entire room. I need to throw the HRO-60 and then HRO-50 on the table and start recapping them soon. Same type of re-cap procedure as with the NC-303. I might decide to sell one of them to pay for the MAC-1700 and I want top dollar. I shelled out $1500 for that thing and I still want a few more McIntosh items.

Anyway, your power supply doesn't look all that bad. Most breadboard type supplies don't look that nice. You could probably just leave it like it is for a year or two and not even worry about it.

17. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

$1500.00 bucks for HRO-50? or MAC-1700? think you mean the MAC-1700. My metal power supply cabinet showed up today damn thing had a twist to it the guy didn't mention that in his ad. Anyway I was able to re-tweak it back into shape fairly easily it was a 1/2" out of square. Lifted one end up on to a wood block, jammed it under the work bench then stood on one corner with all my weight and brought it back into shape it was real scientific you know.
    I need to open a Pay Pal account I guess in order to sell on Ebay I have lots of radio parts to get rid of variable caps, rotary inductors, Heathkit DX-40, Johnson Viking II, I might even sell the Drake B-line not sure yet on that one. Also have two RF Concepts 2m, and 70cm amps to sell these are the real ones before Mighty Fine Junk bought them out.

18. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

$1,500 for the MAC-1700, but if I sell either one of my HRO's $1,500 will be about the right price for those too even for the HRO-50. That HRO-50 is near mint and I have the full set of near mint coils in the original rosewood box along with the original near mint matching speaker including the original manual. It all came from the original owner. That's why I need to go through and recap and align them first so I can get top dollar if I decide to sell one.

19. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Good news, ADI just sent us out emails yesterday saying that we will get another big profit sharing check in June. The one in January was suppose to be the last one for all legacy LTC employees, but they apparently they had second thoughts. They are getting a bit worried because we have totally changed their business and profit margins so they don't want to screw anything up.

Anyway, I never buy stuff unless I decide to sell something first. They way I look at it, it's all part of the hobby fund and goes in and comes out of it. I always sell something to buy something unless extra money comes about when you don't expect it. Well, I may not sell one of the HRO's now. That is if I don't by a mint McIntosh MC-275 next :lol:

20. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

Dave, the shack looks great! It looks like you used plywood sheets for the interior wall panels. That's a great idea. That way, you can attach or mount just about anything directly to the walls.

By the way, it looks like we are closing on the country property (1.25 acres with house) this Thursday.

21. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Hi Kelly,
    Yes I used 1/2" plywood in the shack area only, and it does make things easier don't have to worry about holes in sheet rock to repair or trying to find studs to mount something. The rest of the shed is sheet rock, taped, textured, and painted along with the entire ceiling. The whole building is 12' x 28' the shack area is around 12' x 16'.
    1.25 acres man that will be nice do you like to work 160m? if not now you can:icon_thumbup: I'm very jealous someday when I grow up I'll have property to grow my antenna farm. Have fun

22. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I might be moving to Texas near the Dallas Fort Worth area and want at least 1 acre maybe. It's not definite yet, but if I sell the house here in San Jose I will only need less than half of what I get to by one there. The idea of no longer having a mortgage is very appealing. That plus the room to finally put a full-length antenna up real high.

23. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I thought you gave up ham radio?

24. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

No, just burned out on it right now. A big part of it is the fact AM and HF in general out here in California, what little of it there is sucks. If I lived back in the Midwest again where all the real activity is I’d probably start getting interested again. The other part is living on my current postage stamp lot is extremely limited for having any kind of a real antenna up.

25. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

That's one reason I will be leaving as well among others. Will you be transferring within your company or totally different job? When my dad was in the Air Force my parents lived some where in Texas not sure where though, but they truly hated Texas couldn't wait to get the hell out. My parents were from Wyoming and Texas was a bit of a shock not to mention my mom said the people were sorta weird it maybe different now who knows? Personally I've never been to Texas do I want to go? Not really at least not in the summer with the Death Valley heat. Had a ham friend I grew up with that lived in China Grove he seemed to like it there he was retired though.