Moving day is near...

Discussion in 'Chat' started by K4TQF, Jun 28, 2016.

1. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Day after tomorrow huh?

3. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Yup...

4. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

I have a feeling that NEARfest will be the destination for most of this stuff .

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Well, have a safe trip back up to rain & snow country. That's probably a pretty long drive. I drove a big U-Haul truck from Tulsa to San Jose loaded down will all of my stored gear a parts in just two days, but we really had to push it to get home by that second day night.

6. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Mapquest says 25 hrs... But last year we were leaving at 4:30 AM and driving til dark and it took 3 days. Those 5 mile long hills in PA really slow you down. I'm trying a new route this year thru northern states, but I still have to get over the Berkshires or Poconos one way or another. Plus the XYL is riding along to keep me awake... And she doesn' t do 4:30AM !

7. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Radio racks and parts first, right?

image.jpeg

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Are you there yet?

9. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Made it to Brunswick, OH.... Long haul across PA tomorrow on I-80.

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Sloooooooooow........ :razz:

snail.gif

11. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Well... we made it to Maine in a mere 4 days and 3 nights on the road. Geez... I'm not 25 anymore. I feel like I've been in a clothes dryer for 4 days! 20 years ago, I made this same trip in 48 hours, start to finish.
    Indiana and Ohio have terrible roads... smooth sailing across PA... lots of traffic in MASS. Truck will be unloaded Sunday by professional He-Men.

Hooked up the antenna this morning, fired everything up and realized one of my dipole supports had sagged and the granddaughter ran over my OWL with the lawn mower. ::) Why didn't I throw that vertical in the truck? Doing the "Chinese Checker" shuffle in the shack today in preparation for the new additions... 20 meter 808 rig, new 4-400 amp & 40 meter table top rig. Left the Arkansas shack packed full.

12. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Excuses, excuses :lol:

Yeah, the traffic in MASS. Showing your age even more, its MA now like Indiana use to be Ind and Oklahoma was Okla. Not anymore, they are IN and OK.

The traffic in MASS is horrible. All of those liberal yuppies driving around in those tiny cars with their mouthy little attitudes. You couldn’t pay me enough to ever live there. I’d probably kill someone if I did.

I've driven from Tulsa to San Jose and from San Jose to Tulsa in only two days about three times in recent years. MapQuest shows its 26 hours and 30 minutes for a total of 1,689 miles one way. Most of it is via I-40 though so not much traffic except for when you hit the low to high terrain when reaching New Mexico which slows you down a little. Going through IN, OH, and especially MA would be slightly different and take longer due to the traffic, etc. Heading northeast is always a really bad route when traveling.

13. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Last time I'll do it ! 1606 miles...

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

That's what I said when I did it last August. It's when we stopped by the Grand Canyon on the way back.

In 2009 we drove a big U-Haul truck from Tulsa to Flagstaff, AZ the first day and then from there to San Jose the next. Its easier if you do it in 3 days though, but you are still tired when you get there nervertheless. Back in the early 2000's I drove to Tulsa twice and would just drive down to Bakersfield, CA like on a Friday and spend the night. Then it was 2 days from there getting to Tulsa early Sunday afternoon. That was a lot eaiser.

Anyway, I said the same thing back then and after several years passed we did it again last August and drove it both ways. Never again though until several more years pass if ever. You just have to wait until you forget how bad it was :mrgreen: