75-Meters Local California AM Activity

Discussion in 'Ham Bands' started by W5HRO, Jun 19, 2014.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Not much local AM activity here in CA this time of year. The 3870 group does still get on Saturday mornings, but its pretty sparse right now. Nothing else but SSB activity :icon_thumbdown:

2. KG6ABF

KG6ABF Member

Have you heard about the San Diego AMI group? 3.870 Mondays @ around 7 PM. Signals into So Cal have been quite good lately.

Scott

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Yeah, I've heard those guys before. My antenna has been down this summer so I have not had a receiver on for the past couple on months.

Anyway, one of them was Ron, W6OM, but the last I heard he was having health problems. As a matter of fact the last time I heard the group on the air they were talking about him. I hope he didn't become SK :confused:

4. KG6ABF

KG6ABF Member

I have been checking in on this net for about the last 3 months give or take. That said I am still learning the regulars and those who pop in there from time to time. I may have spoken with the gentleman and then again possibly not during the net. I have to add due to my limited time on it I simply don't know everyone yet. I tend to spend more time on the Vintage SSB nets or just general band hopping.

I also have run across activity on 3.870 on Saturday morning circa 8 AM PST, Wednesday evenings from around 7 PM till as late as 10 PM with quite a few running retired broadcast transmitters.

At the top of 40 meters around 7.295 or so some stations have been operating during the day, so you might want to look around there as well.

Once I get my shack in better shape I hope to have in line a Johnson Valiant 1 (serious mods done here on this unit) and either my SX-101 MK3 or HQ170 (with clock) serving as the transmit/receiver pair. This will be fed into a choice of antennas depending on conditions. For now (vintage SSB and AM)I run a FT-901DM into a NVIS loop fed with 450 ohm ladder line this is fed into a Heath Kit SA 2040 tuner and for added oomph I may switch in one of the Henry consoles or the Ameritron AL-80B. The AL-80B is most likely the one used as it sits right next to the FT-901DM/FTV 901 with 6/2/432 converters. I will most likely toss in a 160-200 watt amp for 2 meters since the transverters only put out about 10-12 watts. The old school Janel preamp still works on 2 meters and the power amps I have also sport a GasFet preamp. Will decide on which preamp once I test both out.

I do spend a fair amount of time on 2 meter SSB weak signal work and starting to get back into the UHF side more in the near future.

I hope to finalize the FT-901DM set up later this Fall once I get some other things in and around the shack finished. To me running a vintage VHF/UHF weak signal station with period antennas (I plan to build some Quagis again) is going to be more of a challenge than running a more modern digital station. At one point I had 8 12 element Quagis , home brew frame on 2 meters mounted at 50 feet running 170 watts at my former location. The Kenwood TS-751A worked quite well. This time around nothing as elaborate, may one or two at a lower height.

What I would like to find is a 6 meter or 2 meter AM net to join in on.

Scott

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

There are just way too many AM'ers close by to where I live. Below is a video of my two neighbors. One is about 3 blocks away running a DX-60 and a linear and the other, Stan is running a Johnson Valiant about 1 mile down the road.

They are both good guys, but this reminds me of the 1970's when the CB craze started and people in my old neighborhood in Tulsa stated putting up CB antennas left and right. OMG!, has AM come back that strong again?