FM KMOD 97.5MHz

Discussion in 'Broadcast Bands' started by W5HRO, Nov 30, 2017.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

What I really miss is KMOD in Tulsa. The ironic funny story is KMOD use to be an AM radio station in Modesto, CA back in the 1950's on 1360kc. In the 1970's the callsign was transferred to the FM station in Tulsa on 97.5Mc. The original Tulsa DJ was Theresa de Veto, later known as 'Mother Theresa'. KMOD is still the main rock station in Tulsa today on 97.5Mc, but back in the old days they were great like on Sundays and did what they called the 7th day where they would play entire albums all day long and all night. Then by the mid 1980’s they started becoming commercialized and were taken over by Clear Channel Corporation and things started going downhill from there. Now I think someone else owns them and they play a ton of heavy metal garbage. The last time I went back I went “what station is this?” because they didn’t even sound like KMOD anymore. I heard recently though that they divided things up to where they now have the old classic rock again along with the heavy metal crap both. I don’t know whether there’s a 2nd frequency now or they just split up the airtime for each. In any event it's not like out here where the stations usually don't last very long and come and go. KMOD is like an icon that remains.

The below was Phil & Brent with what they called the morning zoo, but it was called the breakfast club zoo originally before that. They were the very first radio station to start the prank calls in the morning with the Roy D Mercer skit. In the video, they discuss the recordings of those skits that went national. When I moved out here to California back in 2000 a coworker asked me about those guys because he had one of the tapes of their Roy D. Mercer skits. Has was shocked when I went, "yeah that's Brent." He couldn't believe that I knew him. They were the ones who actually started all of that. Anyway, Phil died in 2012 and Brent left shortly after.

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I've been listing to the KMOD live stream and the music catalog just isn't the same anymore. What they are playing now is crap! KFOX on 98.5Mc here in San Jose is playing the old catalog that KMOD once played that I like.

I guess some things just never stay the same forever :'(