Hotel Surprise

Discussion in 'Chat' started by WD5JKO, Aug 8, 2014.

1. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

I did some business traveling this week to San Antonio, Texas. I stayed at the Sleep Inn near Sea World. In my room was a very strange image that caught my eye.

Below the wall mounted Sanyo flat panel TV was an odd looking arrangement of two power plugs plugged into a 3 way adapter. The tape on the exposed prongs appears to be package shipping tape. It appeared that one of the cords was the power plug to the TV set.

Someone with a very disturbed mind came up with this "fix", and I'm sure the final result was satisfactory except someone is likely to get killed, and the Hotel sued.

Any idea why somebody would do such a thing? Everything worked, and was powered up. This suggests that one of those male plugs is HOT, and they needed to get power to the other. Have you ever seen a double male extension cord? :-)

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I've made those once or twice thru the years. I think I had an extension cord one time that had females on both ends and it was necessary to connect it to another normal one. There is a patent for one under patent # US 7407404 B2 and I've attached the pdf document. I think if you also have a generator you want to connect if your power goes out you can just shut your main breaker off then plug an extension cord into one of your wall outlets, but you need the dual male adapter to connect from the generator to the extension cord. It's probably not legal though to make and sell them.

There was actually one for sale on Amazon at some point, but the ad now says "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." I wonder why? :lol: Read the reviews.

If you ever need one just make your own, but be sure to keep the Hot and Netural in the correct polarity so it transfers across to the other side correctly. You have to criss-cross them from the one side to the other. That's where people often go wrong :icon_crazy:

Attached Files:

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here's another one you won't find in the stores. I've been using it with two extension cords to temporally get 220V to my HB transmitter. Probably illegal as hell, but it was easy to make. You just find two outlets in your house that give you both sides of the split, 110V-0-110V.

4. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

That contraption you made to get 240V is pretty neat. Although no doubt not up to NEC rules, could be made a little safer. Some ideas come to mind:

Don't combine the two circuits until inside the rig AFTER the power switch.

1.) Inside your rig have a ganged two pole 10 amp breaker. The outlets are separately breaker-ed at 15 amps.
    2.) Use a 2-Pole master power switch.

So here with the rig OFF the circuits are isolated. If someone unplugs one side, the exposed male prongs will NOT be HOT.

If the rig when ON overloads, the dual pole breaker will pop both sides.

So here your vulnerable if the rig is turned ON, and someone pulls one of those plugs. This could be remedied with a voltage sensing 2 pole relay that drops out when the sensed line voltage drops below about 180 volts.

It's a lot of bother, and would still not be NEC compliant, but would be reasonably safe.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

That's what I was using back in Tulsa because the bedroom my station was in didn't have 220V. So, I've been using it here temporally too until I get everything finished. The last thing is to have someone come out this fall or early winter and run 220V thru the outside wall here in the shack which is right beside where the transmitter sits. It will be on a new separate dedicated breaker added to the breaker box.

The transmitter has the big matching power cord coming out that plugs into that industrial socket and both sides (hots) run through the fuses first then through two manual switches next on the front panel then they connect to the terminals on each of the solid state relays. Then two other fuses go between the other side of the transformer primaries and then to the neutral through the center manual switch. The 220V is only for the two main plate transformers and they can be switched to 110V, but I don't plan to ever do that. Basically all 3 switches must be turned on then the solid state relays switch on during PTT to turn on both plate transformer hots. One is for the 810's in the modulator and the other is for the 4-400CG in the RF deck. Then I'm using one side of the split to power up everything else with 110V. I think with the 810 side AC then I'm using the 4-400 side AC just to turn it's screen supply transformer primary on and off with 110V.

Below are pics of of that when I was cleaning out the dust after getting it out here to San Jose back in 2009 and notice the 3 switches on the panel forming the 220V socket V or Y type pattern, 110V-0-110V.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

You know I was thinking about my dual 110V to 220V adapter and wondering how many times a contractor has probably walked into a house or a building and needed 220V for a piece of equipment to run? I could build them up using heavy 50' or 100' cables so they could walk into any home or building and quickly get 220V by finding the two 110V outlets. I could sell them on eBay using an undisclosed alias account :biggrin: