Grand Canyon Photos

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Aug 23, 2015.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Swung by the Grand Canyon on the way home from our Tulsa trip and below are some pics.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG 08.JPG
  2. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Really great shots. I'm jealous. I visited the Grand Canyon back in '60 but the pictures I took then don't even come close. The camera was a Sears Tower camera. I think I was using Ektachrome ASA 32. We were crossing the US doing a barbershop tour and had just enough time to take these shots. It was late afternoon and very hazy. The Ek... is color shifting on me. Gotta get those slides scanned and the dust removed before it's too late.

That was an unforgettable experience for a young 23 year old

PS: Here's the camera - it still works

Sears Tower opened up.jpg
  3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Actually Al that 1960's photo isn't all that bad.

Attached below is the full size of one of those pics I posted, but the file size is larger. I had reduced those down to speed up page loads so let's see what this one does. The pages always load to the 300 X 300px thumbnails but still, it takes longer to load when expanding them.

Taken with my iPhone 5S
  4. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Almost instantaneous. For all youse guys, there is a utility that will allow you to keep the full size of the pic but will compress (JPG's only) the file size down to 10% the original without any apparent loss in detail. I use it all the time with the BBS's. Anyone interested I can post the info - it's freeware, BTW.
  5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here's two more. I actually have 40 Canyon pics saved and edited. We were there around 9am and the sun wasn't really in the right spot to get the best pics, but they are good enough I think. We left before noon around 11:30am, but the glare would have been gone if we had waited until later in the day.

6. RCA3

RCA3 Member

jpg #4 is a winner!!

Really gives one an idea of the scale of the place!!!
  7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Those were all taken from the south rim and we didn't have time to check out some of the other views. I was told taking the northern route around the canyon is way better so maybe next time.
  8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here are 3 more photos I took and cropped when we were driving through New Mexico. After looking at them it dawned on me my iPhone has a panoramic feature I could have used at the Grand Canyon, but I didn't think of it at the time. The below photos are not panoramic, but the wide dimensions made me remember. With the iPhone you can place it in panoramic mode and move it to take a very wide panoramic HD photo.

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

The new iPhone 6S coming out the 25th of this month (Sept) will have a better camera than the iPhone 6 and my old 5S. My canyon photos were taken with my 5S.

New iPhone 6S iSight Camera Specs

New 12-megapixel iSight camera with 1.22µ pixels

Live Photos

Autofocus with Focus Pixels

Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6s Plus only)

True Tone flash

Panorama (up to 63 megapixels)

Auto HDR for photos

Exposure control

Burst mode

Timer mode

ƒ/2.2 aperture

Five-element lens

Hybrid IR filter

Backside illumination sensor

Sapphire crystal lens cover

Auto image stabilization