Fully automated FT8

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W6MQI, Dec 26, 2017.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

First off I don't operate any digital modes except CW, but what's the point in this?

Gee now we can work DXCC while shopping at the store, while at work, painting the house, on a bike ride, on the crapper. The American Reefer Roller League really blew it allowing FT8 to be used for DXCC credits. I guess Joe Taylor must have given a large amount of cash to the ARRL to get their nod of approval.

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Pardon my ignorance, but what is FT8?

I'm assuming it's some kind of software that lets you control your transceiver via your smartphone so you can reply via text messaging and then it sends that via code remotely ???

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Nope! Well since you have never done any EME, or meteor scatter guess you wouldn't know, do a FT-8 search on Google and 100,000 hits will come back.
    Its a semi automatic digital mode that has replaced JT-65 which was originally designed for EME. Ham's found out JT-65 worked well for HF communications down to -20db, but was sorta slow I seem to remember with no errors it took 9-10 mins to complete a JT-65 QSO. Then came FT-8 which has replaced JT-65 almost 100% a typical FT8 QSO offers “sensitivity down to –20 db, and contacts 4 times faster than JT65 or JT9. An auto-sequencing feature offers the option to respond automatically to the first decoded reply to your CQ all responses are canned macros there's absolutely no personal interaction between parties. ARRL has allowed FT-8 QSO's to count for DXCC the guy in the YouTube video has automated the process so an station operator can setup the 3rd party software to automate the process, walk away for a extended period of time, come back and presto! Fully logged DXCC with no work or skill what so ever. I guess this type of operating is perfect for the new ham of today where he or she wants instant gratification with little work or skill required. Heck it took no skill to pass the exam so why not have operating be brainless as well. Tune in around 14,070 and you will hear all the activity meanwhile the CW section is almost dead.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

That's all you had to say.