For those out there who have time to read...

Discussion in 'Chat' started by K4TQF, Jun 11, 2015.

1. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

While on a working vacation recently, I read two very interesting books by the same author, Erik Larson, "Thunderstruck" & "In the Garden of Beasts". Larson says he is a writer just so he can travel the world digging up little known historical facts. "Thunderstruck" tells more about the early trials of Marconi and the problems he encountered when he took his apparatus to England than I have ever read before. In "Thunderstruck" Larson couples the parallel story of one Dr. Crippen, who was the first murderer caught by Scotland Yard via the use of the new "wireless", with it's development by Marconi. "In the Garden of the Beasts" tells the goings on of the newly appointed & ill suited, US Ambassador Dodd to Germany from 1933-1937. Lots of inside info of the goings on and how the "clueless" Americans thought they could contain Hitler & his cronies.
    Both books were very well researched and written. Highly recommended to those interested in history. :icon_thumbup:
  2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Did it go into any detail about Woodrow Wilson's roll before that?

I was reading a recent article the other day about the worst U.S. presidents and unlike the majority of most rankings through the years they were saying Woodrow Wilson was probably the worst president in American history. The funny thing is I happen to agree with that and I always have, but you just never see or hear people say it. It stems back to my days in college and having to take the required history and political science courses.

During and after WWI Woodrow Wilson made colossal errors by always thinking he knew best and he helped create the climate over in Europe thinking Germany had to be punished. To make matters worse he was outmaneuvered by France and England towards the end at the Versailles peace conference which was a complete embarrassment to his administration.

Basically Woodrow Wilson originally drove and helped create the climate in Germany which led to the rise of Hitler. If he hadn’t done that there’s a very strong chance Hitler would have never risen to power in the first place.
  3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here, get and read this book too. Surprisingly it looks like the story is being told in recent years.

Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, and World War II

The fateful blunder that radically altered the course of the twentieth century—and led to some of the most murderous dictators in history

4. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Oh, I forgot, I did get a chance to read some antenna books too. "Vertical Antennas" by Bill Orr, W6ASI & Stuart Cowan, W2LX, "Antennas & Radio Propagation" U.S. Army TM-11-666, "Understanding Antennas" Jim Abercrombie, N4JA, "W1HIS multiband Sloper" REV1, 23, Jan, 2014 Chuck Counselman W1HIS, from Chuck's article in the YCCC newsletter "Getting a Big DX Signal on 160-10 M from One Small, Low Antenna". On the plane trip home, I read "Wireless Telegraphy" 1908, W.W. Massie & Charles Underhill.

What did I take away from all this? If you have a horizontal wire antenna and you want it to work good, it better be at least 1/2 wavelength above ground. If you can't do that, use a lot of power and put as much wire in the air as you can ! Basically, the same thing Marconi and Alexanderson were doing 100 years ago. :icon_yawn:
  5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Usually a 1/4 wave above the ground is sufficient. If you have say like a 1/2 wave dipole 120' long from end to end then 60' above the ground works good enough.