Flight around the world

Discussion in 'QSO' started by W6MQI, May 21, 2017.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

2. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

I find this all very interesting. I do wonder about that antenna efficiency, and why they opted out from a trailing wire antenna of variable length. Getting a signal that gets out on 40m might be a challenge. I wish the team behind the project the best of success.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Jim,
    Funny you should say that before I saw what he was using for an antenna I sorta figured he was using a ZEPP he could unreel when needed. Seems like a ZEPP would have worked a whole lot better then a 10' chuck of wire hanging from the bottom of the AC.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Probably to recreate Amelia Earhart’s stupidity. Don't ever believe the myth about how she was a great aviation pioneer. Earhart was a horrible pilot and the fact she had them remove the trailing wire from her plane right before that final flight just shows how stupid she really was. She didn’t want to take the time to learn radio and the technology that would have saved her life. She married that publisher and he promoted her into being something she never was and the public fell for it hook, line and sinker. Don’t believe the myth because it was never real. The history is false.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

A photo taken upon her arrival in Miami, shows the direction finding loop still installed and the short factory version of the fixed antenna in place. In 1940, John Ray the flight instructor and the radio operator aboard Pan Am’s instrument training plane were flying out of LaGuardia and were training pilots in instrument approaches and letdowns. While moonlighting with his aviation radio service business in Miami, John Ray had been contracted to remove Earhart’s trailing antenna.

electra-in-miami1.jpg

And during Earhart’s visit with Pan Am officials in Miami, she had a discussion with Charlie Winter, a local radio engineer. During World War II, he gave the Pan Am radio operator the details. Now that she had dispensed with the trailing antenna, he suggested they replace the 500 kHz crystal and coils in her #3 transmitting channel with a Pan Am direction-finding frequency. This would allow our long distance direction finders to follow her progress across the Pacific.

To his surprise, she immediately cut him off with, “I don’t need that! I’ve got a navigator to tell me where I am” Charlie Winter was flabbergasted! He couldn’t believe she would turn down such an offer without further consideration.

6. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Sounds like she had one hell of a stick up her as*, she and her drunk navigator paid the ultimate price for her bullheadedness.

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I had an aviation history course in college and Earhart was one of our instructors favorite discussions. According to him Amelia Airhead was a better name for her. If you do the research you will find she was a terrible pilot and there was a pretty good documentary on PBS years back which emphasized that very point. She never took the time to learn how to fly properly and when radio came along she wanted no part of it.

Anyway, another funny memory was that insane story Connie Chung (remember that airhead?) did back in the 1980's on Earhart 's disappearance when more BS evidence surfaced. At the end of the broadcast Chung stated there was a possibility Earhart was the real Tokyo Rose after being captured by the Japanese or something like that :lol: The bottom line and most likely scenario is Earhart's plane ran out of fuel and hit the water. Someday down the road they will eventually find it or the pieces of what's left at the bottom of the ocean. It just depends on how bad it broke up when they hit the water or it the whole thing just sank if it was still intact.

8. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Bad weather on the route and aircraft equipment problems indicate New York to Paris trip may be canceled, to meet Round-The-World trip schedule. Air route shows storms in mid-Atlantic.

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Anyone heard him yet?

23 May: New York to Texas flight for repairs
    24-28 May: Texas test flights
    29-31 May: Texas to Miami
    01 June: Depart Miami. Embark on Round-the-World flight
    02 June-24 July: Round-the-World Flight
    24 July: Arrive Oshkosh Wisconsin for AirVenture
    29 July: Oshkosh to Texas

Untitled.png

10. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

No station here to listen with everything is packed away guess I could listen in on one of the online receivers.

11. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

12. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Does anyone really care anymore? Personally I think she was abducted by aliens. :icon_problem: