De Anza swap meet this weekend

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W6MQI, Apr 5, 2016.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Well it's suppose to maybe hit 90deg today and tomorrow then possible rain this weekend. Great I decide to go to a swap meet after more then a year and it rains. Oh well I'm going anyway anyone else local going?

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here's the link to the website: http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com .It's also posted in our event section.

Unfortunately the xyl and I will be in Carmel this Saturday because we are spending Friday night at the Hyatt Hotel there in Pebble Beach at the golf course.

I’m planning on going to the one maybe in May or June or the one in August for sure. I will be on 6-week paid sabbatical again from my company starting August 1st if it gets approved. We can take those every 5 years so my plan is to work on the house and my radio projects then. It will be the perfect time to finally get caught up on everything instead of always relying on the winter holiday season when it’s really too late and I always run out of time. The xyl cannot take off time then because of her new job so I will have plenty of peaceful free time :biggrin:

Maybe we can meet up there in the coming months? I lived right down the road (off old hwy 9, now Sunnyvale-Saratoga) from De Anza College for about 10-years, although I never went to the flea-market. Most all of my stuff was still in storage in Oklahoma back then.

If you do go, take some photos and post them here when you get back.

De_Anza_EFM.png

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Man, there's an 80% chance of rain tomorrow morning in Cupertino from 1am thru 5am and it goes down to 40% by around 6am. You guys may get a short break after it opens, but I wonder how many sellers won't even show and setup in the pouring down rain before that? Bummer...

This time of year its always a gamble when you make plans. Its going to be raining when we get to Carmel around noon today, but it looks like we may get a break when we get up tomorrow morning. The rain is suppose to go away around 3am and be clear until later tomorrow afternoon or night. The hotel is always booked several months in advance so there is nothing you can do except take a gamble.

4. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Well I woke up at 0530 looked outside the bedroom window and saw rain thought to myself go or no go? I decided to take a chance and go.
    The rain obviously scared everyone off because the swap was a wash probably one of the worst ones I've attended the high lite for me was the Humvee parked in the parking lot. I did pick up a small roller inductor, vernier drive, and a small panel meter for $5 so it wasn't a total loss. There was a cannibalized auto tuner with drive motors with various other parts, and two really nice vacuum variables for $100.00 thought about offering $75.00 thinking back I should have. All in all not much to see a crappy NCX-3, Arc 5 transmitter, and a few other POS that was it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I'm not going to be able to make the one this coming June 11th because I will be going out of town that Saturday morning. I will try to make the one on July 9th and August 13th.

7. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Sounds good looks like I won't be making the Minden N7RCA swap just to much going on here.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Crap, I totally forgot about the De Anza Electronics Flea Market yesterday. I just went through the events section and saw it ::)

It's just as well I guess. I was a bit under the weather yesterday. Something was blowing around in the air late last week a gave me a bit of a sinus and throat problem. It kind of ruined my whole weekend and I haven’t felt like doing much except for sitting around.

Anyway, I'm going to add the next one on my calendar now with an alert so it will pop up on my iPhone and computer the day before so I don't forget. I'm on a 6-week paid sabbatical from work starting Aug 1st.

9. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I forgot too been so busy with other things ham radio has been on the back burner. Purchased a new jeep a couple of weeks ago so most of my attention has been focused on it. I'll set an alarm on the phone for next month as well.

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It's too bad they don't have the flea market next month (Oct) like they did last year because I'd probably go to it now that I'm back in the radio'n mode again. Just didn't get around to it this summer because I had too many things going on those weekends or it was just bad timing in regards to spending money.

11. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I'll be at the Pacific con swap meet on Sunday not planning on buying anything just fun to go and mill around.
    Been so busy with work I haven't had time for any ham radio haven't even opened up the shack in two plus weeks there's probably cob webs hanging on the radios.

12. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

When I went back to work on Sept 13th after being on sabbatical for 6+ weeks I found that my backup hadn't done shit and didn't write down or record any of the work requests he received. I've been just swamped for the past two weeks since going back trying to clean up the mess. Linear has always been a very lean company and when someone goes on vacation their backups can only do so much. Its one of the reasons the company has only ever had two very tiny layoffs in its history. The two times the economy crashed they only got rid of the problem people like 75 people out of 8000 people because they had an excuse and could get away with it. Unlike Analog Devices who just bought us, is a bloated underperforming company full of BS federal regulations and political correctness because they are afraid of getting sued. It’s going to be really funny when they come in next March or April and start holding meetings. They won’t be a custom to hearing managers and employees using 4-letters words telling each other to fuck off. ADI has no clue and is in for a real shock. When they try to start implementing their no balls political correctness ways people are going to start leaving or retiring.

Anyway, the shack here is all freshly painted and cleaned up so I just need to sit down and start working on the stuff again. The garage is all cleaned up too and the BK-1A is just standing there waiting to be stripped down the rest of the way.

13. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator