Board Update Info & Feedback

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Apr 14, 2016.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Hi All,

I'm testing the cloud now so let me know if there are any issues. I figured out the login / logout thing and have that corrected now. There was one final issue that deals with attachment uploading. What I noticed is when the cloud servers had everything fully cached an error would come up and attachments would not upload until you refreshed the page and cleared your browser's cache. I may have that corrected now, but I'm not 100% positive. I am going to slowly turn the cloud features back on again one at a time over the next couple of days and see if one of them was the culprit.

Anyway, that is or was the last hurdle in getting AM North America fully into the cloud to where it is lightning fast. We are in the cloud again now and its already very fast, but the more features I can turn on without creating an attachment upload issue the faster it will be.

73's

2. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Seems to work out here on the right coast. Good luck

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Below is how it works...

overview.png

By the way, we are back on the old server here in California. I backed everything up the other day and moved it back. The hosting plan does not expire until this August and I had a 60-day trial with the one in Michigan. Well, the one in Michigan is more expensive and I figure if CloudFare will work with the board then it doesn't really matter where the origin server is located anyway. Not only that, but CloudFare just opened up two new data centers, one here in San Jose and the other in LA. That means everything from the origin hosting server will get cached much faster because it and the first cloud servers are closer to each other. It will hit those first then spread to all of their other ones below.

CloudFare Servers (Data Centers) in the US & Canada

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Newark, New Jersey, United States
    Ashburn, Virginia, United States
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Miami, Florida, United States
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Phoenix, Arizona, United States
    Seattle, Washington, United States
    San Jose, California, United States
    Montréal, Quebec, Canada
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This CDN (Content Delivery Network) thing is the future of the Internet and where everything is going.

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Ok, the board is all setup now and is fully in the cloud. It didn't take as long as I thought and everything is already turned back on. No more login / logout page issues and new posts will show up immediately when posted. Attachment files upload just fine now as well. It turned out to be a simple thing in one of the custom page rules I setup.

73's and enjoy the super fast page loads no matter where you are located :icon_thumbup:

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It looks like the board is working fine in the cloud and it has been in there since last Thursday so I guess we are good to just leave it like that now.

73's

6. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Member

Annoying issue with my computer or the website. I cant type in this box unless I hit refresh four or five times. Then, I get a cursor.

C

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Are you using IE or Firefox?

We are in the cloud so when the pages load in your browser they are a cached copy of what's on the hidden origin server, but new posts and alerts appear immediately. It's probably a setting on your PC. I have not noticed that on my PC at work using Firefox or using Safari at home. I have noticed Firefox runs a little sluggish with it, but I think it’s due to the latest versions of Firefox. They have recently made some significant changes which has really started to slow it down. Others have also noticed that. It may be time to stop using Firefox and move on to something else or reinstall an older version of it.

8. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Member

I am using Chrome. This box appears but I cant type. I have to refresh the browser a bunch of times and then loads. This happens at work and at home on the laptop. Strange.

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I went ahead and disabled Rocket Loader™ for now so let me know if the issue goes away. It caches certain scripts during page loads that the posting editor runs on your local computer and it wont refresh them again until the cloud cache expires or until you refresh your computer/broswer and there could be an issue with Chrome. It's still in Beta mode so let me know if the problem goes away. It may be doing it so fast that the scripts are not loading properly everytime, but it would depend on how Chrome is coded. I have a hunch Rocket Loader™ is what's causing it. This new technology is still a bit ahead of eveything.

10. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

11. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Reply to test

12. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Brian,
    Turning rocket loader off seemed to have solved posting issues with Firefox, both post were sent via Firefox. You can delete these test post.

13. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Test message running Chromium browser under LXLE Lubuntu OSE

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Thanks, that's all good to know. I will just leave the rocket loader turned off for now. Page loads will slow down just a little, but stability is more important.

I'm using Firefox v45.0.2 on my PC at work and a similar version at home on my iMac and I dont see the issue. On my PC at work I only noticed a little weirdness like some of the widget boxes would no longer pop up when you clicked on someone’s username and it would just go to their main profile page instead. As soon as I turned off the rocket loader yesterday that weirdness went away. The other thing was sometimes when refreshing the main forum page it would be a little sluggish like certain things were happening before they were supposed to like it was causing a delay in other things coming up and now that is gone as well.

On my new iMac at home I mainly use Safari, but I also tried Firefox and none of those things nor the posting issue are happening and the rocket loader works great. I'm wondering now if it just may be that you need a really new computer with up to date hardware, but I don’t have any new PC's so I will not be able to check that and see.

Anyway, the rocket loader caches and speeds up Javascript. The posting editor uses some Javascript including a Flash loader when uploading attachment files. That's what creates the blue percentage bar graphs that go across while uploading. The pop-up widgets also use some Javascript so it all makes sense.

In any event the new cloud setup is working great and is also reducing the load on the origin server and that's the other good thing.

15. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

The hosting company is currently updating the server with new software so things have been a little sluggish over the past 24 hours. I've had to clear the CloudFare cache a few times because of the changes they are making. Last night the site went to do the nightly backup and they turned the server off so it was left hanging in maintenance mode because it couldn't finish.

Anyway, hang in there if things are a little slow and flakey. It may take another 24 hours until they are fully done.

16. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

All,

There was a slight email outage for the past day or day and a half so no notification emails were being sent from the board including any forgot password emails. This was due to the hosting company changing the default PHP version on the server. I had selected the new version a day or so ago and just realized the board wasn’t sending out any emails as a result, but that has now been corrected.

73’s

17. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

All,

Probably sometime tomorrow the hosting company will move us to another server. I have not given them the ok yet, but they have offered to move us to a newer one so we can utilize PHP v5.6.22 and then v7.x.x

For example, in one more year PayPal will be shutting off TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 and making TLS 1.2 mandiatory. The current server we are one will not have TLS 1.2 enabled with PHP v5.6.22 so that will stop working and it’s just one of the things that will no longer work. The Internet is going through some big changes and when the switch to PHP 7.x.x is made a lot of features on many forum sites will stop working so I want to stay ahead of the game. There will be no PHP v6.x.x, they are jumping right to v7.x.x.

Anyway sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night PST, Sun (6/26/16) the board may go down for a few hours until they send me the new server ID and IP address so I can change it every place I need to. If it happens late enough though I may not be able to change everything until early Monday morning my time, PST. I'm going to give them the ok to do it tomorrow morning.

We have actually been back on the old server located here in California for a while now and I just didn’t tell anyone. With CloudFare it really does not matter where the server is so I decided not to keep it on the one in Michigan because it was more expensive.

73's

18. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

All,

We are already on the new server and I updated the settings on CloudFare so it's all done. The hosting company pushed a copy over to the new server starting last night (Sun) at 7pm PST and it just finished at 10:33am PST today (Mon) so they made the whole thing seamless. The board never even went down because it was still working on the old server when I switched the CloudFare settings to the new one.

Anyway, we had been on that old source server since 2011 so now we are on a new one with newer software and hardware and using PHP v5.6.22 and the cPanel is faster than shit now as well :icon_thumbup:

73's

19. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It's been a year now and I decided to turn the Rocket Loader feature back on and see what happens. If anyone notices any issues with the browser you are using like when trying to post let me know ASAP and I will turn it back off. It really speeds up the board so I would like to leave it on if possible. There have been several updates to the board and with CloudFare so maybe the issue that was happening before is gone now. Only one way to find out.

20. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Test Firefox

21. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Test Chrome

22. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Seamonkey with Libuntu OS. Picture from K5LRX QRZ page.

450TL_testbed_a_1.jpg

23. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Microsoft Edge browser v38.14393.1066.0 test on Windows 10.1 Pro.

N5000_1.jpg

24. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I just got that new Windows 10.1 PC at work at it works with the new buggy Edge browser. Even Windows 10.1 itself is still buggy as hell right now...

Anyway, I installed two new add-ons to the board and they are a Dead Link Checker and a User Map. I went through and found all of the 404 link errors and corrected them and the system has been slowly going through all members accounts and checking their ip address and setting their location per that address, but city and state only. It's all automatic, but it will take about a week for the cron to run a few times and go through all current member accounts and update them. It will automatically be done at member registration now.

Jim, go to your profile page and click on the Map tab. You will now see the below :biggrin:

Untitled.png

25. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

What are the downsides for Chrome?