Bankruptcy - Radio Shack Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W5HRO, Nov 24, 2014.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

There was a Radio Shack about one block away down on the corner from my house. See pic below. Once and a while I walked there to pick up a cap, resistor or a battery. etc. and it had been there forever. I noticed this weekend while driving by the signs are now gone, the windows were papered up and two big dumpsters are out in front of it.

Anyway, its not surprising, but it was really convenient having it there. Ever since the Circuit City's and Best Buys came on the scene Radio Shack has been slowly dying.

rs.jpg

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

After doing some research yesterday I found where Radio Shack announced last March they were shutting down 1,100 stores before this year was over. Apparently even during last years 2013 holiday season they were still in the red so they were not even going to let our store here start that season and pay extra for the seasonal help. It must have been one of the last stores on their closure list.

It's too bad because that store had been here since the late 1970's

3. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

"To catch a mouse, make a noise like a cheese" Lewis Kornfeld, former CFO of Radio Shack (when their HQ was in Boston). I was told by my HS radio shop teacher that this chain was an outgrowth of the old "Uncle Dan's Radio Shack" of the 30's & 40's. I actually remember when they sold name brand Hi-Fi equipment & "lifetime guaranteed" tubes...

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I remember back in the late 1960's and then in 1970 when they became Allied Radio Shack and sold all types of tube Ham gear and antennas as well. We had one by the Kmart when I lived in Fort Wayne Indiana. I use to go in there and get my dad to buy me project kits and stuff.

Part of it too is the dumbing down of technical people today starting with no more electronic classes in HS, etc. You don't have all of the people like me or us interested in building stuff that would go in there all of the time and buy the goodies to do it. As a result Radio Shack sells mostly crap today, the same type of crap you can get at the Best Buy or Walmart for a cheaper price. They have tried catering to today's consumers by changing what they sell, but I'm sorry, Radio Shack is never going to be a cell phone retailer and trying to become one will never work.

Anyway, I'm actually surprised the company is still in business and its probably only a matter of time before they are gone forever. The whole essence of what Radio Shack once was and the consumer market they sold to doesn't exist anymore. That's the problem and the store chain has greatly outlived it's time.

5. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

It's really sad. I used to stop by the store on Boylston ST in Boston, Ma when I was attending Bible school during the late 50's. I think it was the original Radio Shack - at least that's my recollection. They used to cater to the amateur radio operator

Now they have morphed into "lets throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks" company. That store is slated to be closed soon

I recently went to the RS on Willow st in Manchester for a 1/4" stereo plug with the plastic jacket and it has been removed from inventory

Sad, Al

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

They started going to pot around the mid 1980's. All throughout the 1970's and very early 1980's they still sold some pretty good stuff. They did fairly well during the CB craze and sold a lot of stereo receivers and speakers too. Back then everyone was still into having a nice stereo system at home with good wooden cabinet speakers. Almost everyone had one and that was the thing especially if you were a teenager in high school, college or a little older. Wearing out the grooves in the vinyl was in.

Unfortunately people are just not into that stuff anymore and the quality of what's being sold today as home stereos and radios has turned into cheap low quality disposable junk which doesn't sound near as good anymore. People just go to Best Buy and Walmart now and buy the cheap small black plastic stuff with a couple of crappy plastic speakers. The only thing people are really into today are iPods and their accessories and maybe a stereo in the car with a big subwoofer in back playing that awful rap garbage.

Anyway, it's really not Radio Shack's fault and it can all be blamed on the modern disposable electronic technology being made in China today which has led to the dumbing down of technical people in America. Unfortunately times have changed and nothing lasts forever. However, if you really want to blame someone and as much as I like shopping at Best Buy and Walmart myself then blame people like Sam Walton (the godfather of overseas outsourcing) and the others around him. The fact Radio Shack started quickly going downhill in the mid 1980's isn't just a coincidence.

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Some analysts are now saying Radio Shack may not make it to the end of 2015

Radio Shack (NYSE:RSH)

Radio Shack will be studied by future generations of business school students as an example of a company that failed to change with the times.

The Fort Worth, Texas-based chain used to cater to hobbyists who liked to build their own computers and people who needed specialized parts to repair their home electronics. Radio Shack sold one of the first mass-produced personal computers in the 1970s and ‘80s called the TRS-80.

The chain lost whatever early mover advantage it had in the PC market. It tried to become the place to buy batteries and the destination for people to get their tablets and smartphones repaired. Neither strategy worked.

Signs abound that the company is circling the drain. It lost $161 million in the second quarter and posted a 13.4 percent drop in comparable sales. Both Moody’s and Fitch have warned that the company’s cash stake is perilously low. Its market cap is down to just $38 million.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I'd better hurry up and get the rest of the stuff I was planning on getting before it's too late...

From the WSJ, Jan 14, 2015

RadioShack Corp. is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection as early as next month, people familiar with the matter said, following a sputtering turnaround effort that left the electronics chain short on cash.

A filing could come in the first week of February, one of the people said. The Fort Worth, Texas, company has reached out to potential lenders who could help fund its operations during the process, another person said.

Meanwhile, RadioShack is in talks with a private-equity firm that could buy its assets out of bankruptcy, the people said. They cautioned that the talks with the private-equity firm may not produce a deal and that the company may try instead for a more typical reduction of debt and restructuring of its operations in bankruptcy court.

Situations when companies are close to a bankruptcy filing can be fluid and even contentious, and plans can change at the last minute.

9. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

This is serious and they were not kidding.

I went to one of the Radio Shacks by work today during lunch and everything was 50% to 70% off. They are shutting down more stores so I grabbed a bunch of stuff they still had left. I'm going to hit the other stores that are also closing and grab as much as I can before they are gone. It sure looks like Radio Shack is finally going out of business. It's just like what I saw at the Circuit City stores before they closed. I bet they don't survive the bankruptcy.

My advice is if there is anything they have you were planning on buying then GET IT NOW before it's too late.

radio_shack_stuff.jpg

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I ordered some stuff via the Radio Shack on-line store and they broke the order up into several shipments. Here locally they have kept a couple of stores open a little while longer just to be outlet stores for all of the merchandise that's coming from the stores they are closing. What I've noticed is what those stores mainly have is the stuff I've been buying. Parts, boards, project boxes, tools, etc. They probably had to find all of it at different locations to be able to ship it to me which is why my order was all split up.

I have the bad feeling that if they do make it into bankruptcy court and reorganize they may no longer carry any of the stuff most of us want and have used over the decades. They may turn into just another mini Best Buy type of store selling ready made junk if they remain. That would do absolutely nothing for the hobbyist so what would be the point of them surviving? I'd rather see them gone forever if that were to be the case.

Anyway, I already received my orders, but I'm not going to order anymore because I may never get it. It looks like they are trying to round up and get rid of all the good stuff they still had left and sell it cheap. Next week is February so we will see what happens.

11. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

RadioShack, Hedge Fund Hashing Out Auction Process

From WSJ, Feb, 1st 2015

Hedge fund Standard General LP is in talks to serve as the lead bidder at a bankruptcy auction for struggling consumer-electronics retailer RadioShack Corp. , according to people familiar with the matter.

RadioShack, which is running out of cash after reporting losses in each of the last 11 quarters, was aiming to file for Chapter 11 protection as early as Monday, the people said. But as of Sunday afternoon, the company and its advisers were still working out the details of an agreement with Standard General to serve as the so-called stalking horse at a court-supervised auction for RadioShack’s assets, some of the people said.

Standard General last year became the company’s largest shareholder and led a financing that helped RadioShack get through the holidays.

One scenario under discussion would have Standard General bid to buy a RadioShack with far fewer stores, one of the people said.

Workers at several RadioShack stores said the company has told them to help clear out many locations in February by shipping big-ticket smartphones to nearby stores and slashing prices on remaining inventory. The company operates roughly 4,300 stores in North America but has said it needs to close many of them.

RadioShack also hasn’t finalized the terms of a loan that would fund its operations during the restructuring, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Salus Capital Partners, which led a $250 million loan for RadioShack in late 2013, last month offered to provide a loan of $500 million to fund the retailer’s bankruptcy, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Items up for discussion include how many stores to close and milestones meant to protect lenders providing the bankruptcy financing, known as a “debtor-in-possession” loan, one of the people said.

As companies often do as they approach bankruptcy, RadioShack is trying to get some of its lenders and other stakeholders on board with a pre-determined course of action. Such agreements can ease a company’s trip through bankruptcy court, but they require the agreement of multiple parties that sometimes have conflicting agendas.

RadioShack and Salus have had a contentious relationship at times. The lender has prevented the company from ramping up its store-closing efforts, citing a condition in the 2013 financing that limits the company to 200 closings per year.

RadioShack last year announced plans to close as many as 1,100 stores, but Salus refused to sign off on the additional closings.

RadioShack, which employed 24,000 people late last year, warned in a December securities filing that it could be forced into bankruptcy court if it couldn’t raise new funds or get relief from lenders that have blocked its store-closing efforts.

The company said in the filing that it had $62.6 million on hand as of Nov. 1–$43.3 million in cash and $19.3 million in borrowing availability.

On Friday, RadioShack shares closed at 27.7 cents each, down 10.7%.

12. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

RadioShack in Talks to Sell Half Its Stores to Sprint, Shutter the Rest

From Bloomberg, Feb 2, 2015

RadioShack Corp. is preparing to shut down the almost-century-old retail chain in a bankruptcy deal that would sell about half its store leases to Sprint Corp. and close the rest, according to people with knowledge of the discussions.

The locations sold to Sprint would operate under the wireless carrier’s name, meaning RadioShack would cease to exist as a stand-alone retailer, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks aren’t public.

The negotiations could still break down without a deal being reached, or the terms could change. Sprint and RadioShack also have discussed co-branding the stores, two of the people said. It’s also possible that another bidder could emerge that would buy RadioShack and keep it operating, the people said. The Chinese backers who took the Brookstone chain out of bankruptcy, Sanpower Group, also have been in discussions about bidding for RadioShack assets, one person familiar with the talks said.

The discussions represent the endgame for a chain that traces its roots to 1921, when it began as a mail-order retailer for amateur ham-radio operators and maritime communications officers. It expanded into a wider range of electronics over the decades, and by the 1980s was seen as a destination for personal computers, gadgets and components that were hard to find elsewhere. In more recent years, though, competition from Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and an army of e-commerce sellers hurt customer traffic.

13. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I went to the Radio Shack down the street again during lunch to pick up more of what I could before the stores are gone. The guy said the reports within the past 12 hrs are correct and they will be filing for bankruptcy today. No telling yet if Sprint and/or Amazon will pick up any of their leases, but unless an unexpected miracle happens within the next few hours Radio Shack is history.

The sad part of going through what the store still had left was I realized they did still have some decent stuff for hobbyists. I guess because of my age and the fact I had not really gone into their stores in years like I did when I was younger made me unaware or I just forgot they still had some good stuff for sale. It's nothing like what they had back in the 1970's of course, but what other store can you walk into today and find those special connectors, adapters and a lot of the miscellaneous stuff? You wont find the majority of it at the Best Buy's or at any of the similar retail stores. I think with the age of the Internet and getting use to buying stuff online made many of us start taking Radio Shack for granted to where we even started bad mouthing them in recent years. I think the true reality is this will be a great loss to all hams and the electronics hobbyist in general. Not having those old reliable stores down the road anymore will surely be missed.

Anyway, there's no telling if Radio Shack could have made a difference if they had not decided to go the smartphone retailer route years back. You read all of the reports in the news that say they should have done this and they should have done that, but it may not have made any difference one way or the other. There are not as many electronics hobbyist around today, but that still doesn't mean they couldn't have tried to improve that core area of their business instead and not tried to become like and compete with the Best Buy's, Circuit City's and the Sprint stores, etc. They probably should have stuck with catering to the hobbyist and started an online presence much sooner. They were very late getting into the online retail game and I think it really cost them. They probably should have started with computer terminals in their stores back in the 1990's to make people aware they could order something they didn't have in stock or get additional items online and maybe even worked out a deal with Allied Electronics again to expand what you could actually get. It still may have not made any difference in the end, but I think the CEO's of Radio Shack over the past 20 years were clueless and really blew it nevertheless.

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

RadioShack, The Electronics Chain, Files For Bankruptcy

Feb 5, 2015

RadioShack, the electronics chain that has hung on for years despite a steep decline in its business, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Thursday.

According to the AP, the company plans to sell up to 2,400 of its stores nationwide.

As The Washington Post puts it, RadioShack had tried to remake its analog business in the digital age, but it never quite became a destination store. Instead of buying TV sets there, people went for spare parts.

In what could now be seen as a last-ditch attempt to remake itself, RadioShack ran a commercial during the 2014 Super Bowl.

"The '80s called, they want their store back," a store clerk says, just before a crew of 1980s pop icons takes everything from the store.

"It's time for a new RadioShack," the voice-over says.

But business continued to decline and forced RadioShack to call it quits.

The Wall Street Journal reports that under the bankruptcy agreement, "Standard General will purchase up to 2,400 stores, and Sprint will establish a retail presence in up to 1,750 acquired stores."

The paper adds:

"The deal is aimed at heading off the sort of liquidation that claimed Circuit City and Borders, where the inventory was sold to pay off their lenders. But already, RadioShack is furiously shutting down stores around the country and preparing to close more, according to employees interviewed over the past week."

RadioShack was founded in 1921, selling radio supplies to officers on ships. According to a CBS News history of the store, it later expanded to stores and the mail-order business. It struck it big with two products: first CB radios, then the TRS-80, one of the first mass-produced personal computers.

From there, CBS News reports, the company made a series of missteps. It slowed its sales of computers and it missed the digital revolution by first refusing to sell products online.

In recent years, it tried to make itself cool, but instead it ended up with an odd array of products on its shelves that failed to draw customers in.

15. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Don't know if anyone else fully understands exactly what has happened and what's going on, but according to their CEO Radio Shack is liquidating and trying to sell all of it's assets and close all of their stores except for the ones that will be co-branded with Sprint and overseas. They are not intending to reorganize and try to come back, they want out.

The bottom line is Radio Shack is going away and the co-brand with Sprint will not last forever. Eventually at some point their name will be removed. What Radio Shack will be temporally selling within those Sprint's stores probably won't amount to very much except for charger's, cables and etc. for Sprint's phones. Radio Shack as we knew it is gone forever.

It's just a piece of history now...

16. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

IMHO, long overdue :icon_eh:

17. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Yeah, but it's still unfortunate.

Their redneck CEO's in Forth Worth never saw the digital revolution and overseas outsourcing thing coming and they were blindsided by them. By then it was too late. They were just simply ignorant to what was going to happen. Then when Apple released the first iPhone it slowly started driving the final nail in their coffin.

Their late response to the problem was to try and become like another Best Buy or Sprint store and by doing so they alienated their main long-time core customer base and that was the electronics hobbyist. That was their first big mistake. The second mistake was not getting into online retail in the very beginning. They could have been the pioneers of that. Just think if they would have been smart enough to have installed computer terminals in their stores back in the 90's and maybe to have made a deal with Allied Electronics again. I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of those places online like Newark for example are a pain in the ass to place online orders with. Mouser is about the only decent one to order from. If Radio Shack and Allied had teamed up in the early days of the Internet just think of what could have happened. Customers could have had stuff delivered to their house or delivered to the stores for pickup. Just like Best Buy does today, right?

Its a shame because the opportunities were definitely there for them to have remained being the major player in the game and to this day. The only thing that would have been tricky is if they had stayed with computers after the TRS-80. To be honest, after the early PC boom in the 80's there wasn't a hole lot of money to be made selling computers. It got to the point where there we're so many stores and mail order places selling PC's (IBM AT & XT clones) for just pennies over their hardware costs that I don't really see how Radio Shack could have ever made any money selling computers. They would have to have sold IBM clone hardware only. So I disagree with some the the current articles being published. Most of those articles are being written by punk-ass kids and it was way before their time so they really don't have a clue.

Anyway, I can remember back in Tulsa right after the CB boom in 1976 and during the TRS-80 thing. They started opening stores left and right all over the city to where we eventually had Radio Shacks every few miles and I'm serious. By around 1981 or 1982 there were like 5 stores within a 3 mile radius of my house. The funny thing is it didn't last very long and by about 1989 half of those new stores were already gone, but I think is was partly due to the poor economy at the time during the Reagan/Bush administrations. I can also remember being really upset when the last two stores by my house that still had tube testers got rid of them. That was before the Internet and things like eBay so I didn't have a clue where to get one so I no longer had a way to test tubes anymore. I remember telling the last manager "I would have bought it!" after finding out they threw it in the trash :mad:

18. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

I lived in Memphis, a city large enough to have several electronic parts houses. In the early 1960's we actually had what could be called a "radio row". On Union ave, there were 3 or 4 surplus stores piled high with WW2 surplus. A local hospital needed the property so they disappeared fairly quickly. Back in those days, you actually had distributors for different brands; Macdonald brothers was RCA, Shobe Inc. was Philco, etc... (owned by Cybill Shepard's grandfather Cy Shobe) The other two biggies were Bluff City Electronics & W&W. W&W was jointly owned by the Wooten brothers. Hoyt Wooten had the first radio station in Memphis, WREC AM 600 (Sept 1922 & still on the air) & WREC TV channel 3, a CBS affiliate later sold to New York times. W&W was also the Collins dealer and Altec dealer. For a while they sold Electrodyne recording consoles & AMPEX recorders. I can remember riding a city bus and purchasing a $12 field strength meter from them around 1961. In the 1990's I helped S.D. Wooten's widow Cora, liquidate her inventory at hamfests. Bluff City Electronics is still in business. There were two others who came & went, Lavender Electronics and Warren radio, but they catered mostly to TV shops. Carlton-Bates ( WESCO ) was a late comer to that market.
    As far as Radio Shack goes... I remember going to the grand opening of the location in our neighborhood shopping center in 1965. Charles Tandy himself was in attendance as the occasion marked the opening of store # 300 or something like that. I was really excited that there would be an actual radio store within walking distance of home... until I went in to make a purchase. I was sorely disappointed at the quality, or lack thereof, in their product line. I avoided them like the plague for the rest of my life. I'll admit, I would go in occasionally for a battery, adapter cable or other misc item, solder, etc... if I wasn't closer to another parts house. I, for one, am glad to see them go. They gave electronics a bad name IMO. I honestly don't see how they lasted as long as they did.
    :icon_thumbdown: "To Catch a Mouse Make a Noise Like a Cheese" Lewis Kornfeld, former Radio Shack president

19. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Well, not everyone had those other places you mentioned nearby when they were growing up.

In 1970 the only electronic place we had in Fort Wayne, IN was the Allied Radio Shack store next to the Kmart. They were it. It was either that or nothing. It was pretty much the same when we moved to Tulsa back in 1974. There were a couple of places really far away over on the north side of town like Radio Inc and Trice Electronics, but they were parts outlet stores only. Radio Shack was still pretty much it for me until they opened up a Lafayette store about 4 miles from my house right before the peak of the CB craze. It was only there for about 3 years though and then closed.

I think it just depends on the situation, for a lot of people like myself Radio Shack introduced us to electronics and the radio hobby in general. If it hadn't been for their stores I probably would have never gotten into electronics when I was a kid and I probably wouldn't be sitting here posting or have ever created this board. It all started when my next door neighbor who was the surviving radio operator from the Wasp that was sunk by the Japanese in 1942 gave me and old Allied receiver and told me about the store next to the Kmart. After going in that store with my dad I was hooked and as it turns out for life. It's all Radio Shack's fault. The really ironic thing is Radio Shack helped create the very thing that put them out of business in the end. Steve Wozniak (The Woz) bought most of his parts at Radio Shack and in turn invented the very thing that made it happen.

One of the original key factors though which also led to their slow demise was when the communist regulators in our government blocked them from capitalizing after buying Allied Radio. That's why the Allied name was removed from their stores after only a few years. It's the same thing and was connected to the breakup of AT&T for example. The Anti-capitalists in our government like Ted Kennedy were still trying to prevent companies from succeeding and becoming too big and powerful, but in AT&T's case it happened due to political fallout after the Watergate incident and forced Ford to jump on their bandwagon. Then it steamrolled over everything from there. They de-regulated the big regulated then micro-regulated every aspect of it after. Now our government is full of communist micro-regulators on both the left and right side of the fence.

"In 1970, Tandy Corporation bought Allied Radio (both retail and industrial divisions), and began to merge the brands into Allied Radio Shack. However, after a federal government review, the company sold off the remaining Allied retail stores and resumed using the Radio Shack name. The industrial division (Allied Electronics) continued as a Tandy division until the 1990s, when it was sold."

Again, what they should have done is started an online presence with Allied Electronics instead of letting Tandy sell them in the 1990's. Big mistake…

20. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Hey, anyone remember the little science fair kits? I think I had and built almost all of them in the early 70's.

I use to mow yards in the summer time and would go buy them along with record albums at the Kmart next door to it.

Science_Fair_1.jpg Science_Fair_2.jpg

21. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

Oh, yeah, my first 21 -in-1 kit came from Allied. I mail ordered lots of stuff from them over the years. I agree, RS really missed the mark with no on line presence. That, & the fact that they dropped some name brands from their offering over the years. I remember when they had a "hi-fi" room in the back and sold Fischer and other name stereo equipment. Lewis Kornfeld himself, admitted that he couldn't believe the amount of profits made from the TRS-80. He was with them for many years after that, so he should have seen this coming.
    I heard that they consolidated their tube inventory down in Ft Worth and you could still order tubes to be shipped to your local store. I guess they will go to auction ...

22. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Radio Shack stopped selling tubes in the late 1970's, like 78 or 79 . Then you could order them, but only for a few years after that. I cant remember when exactly they stop doing that, but I think it was around 1984 to 1985. Realistic tubes have been gone ever since. They either threw what they had left away back then or sold them to Allied Electronics. The final store by me that got rid of their tube tester got rid of it around 1985. I had just gotten back into ham radio again and was going there to test my tubes. Then the tester was gone before that year was even over. I think the manager got rid of it because of me using it, but I would usually buy something before leaving. That's about the time I stopped going to Radio Shack and I don't think I even stepped into one again until 2000 when I move to California. I needed a jumbo LED alarm clock and there was one on El Camino by where I was living at the time. Then I didn't step into one again until after 2008 and it was the one I started this topic with that they closed by my house right before this last December.

I'm still a little surprised about what you said about them in 1965 though because if you look at their catalogs from back then they sold about every other brand of ham gear. The sold Hallicrafters, National, Globe, Johnson, etc. They sold it all. Maybe your store in Memphis just didn't stock a lot of it when they opened and it was order only at the time.

Anyway, the Allied Radio thing for Radio Shack was a pretty big blow to them back in the early 70's. They had just spent a lot of money to acquire Allied and then the government stepped in and screwed it up. The communist bastards... The outcome would have been a lot different if that hadn't have happened.

23. K4TQF

K4TQF Member

The ham stuff was mail order only or maybe stocked in Boston. I never saw any ham gear of any kind in any RS that I was in... We ultimately had 5 Radio Shacks around town.

24. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I think it depended on the store. When we moved to Tulsa in 1974 the Radio Shack closest to our house on 51st and Sheridan had been there since the mid to late 1960's. I remember the manger there telling me about what they had sold back then and he even had a few of the old catalogs left including some of the old equipment in the back room, but it was mainly stripped down for parts stuff that had been sitting there a while. When I looked through the 1969 or before industrial catalogs they had tons of ham gear like Heathkit including Yagi antennas, etc. There was a short time where they had actually made a deal with Heathkit back then believe it or not.

Anyway, that one store in Tulsa became my watering hole and it was still there when I moved away in 2000. It finally closed though just a few years after that. I always remember that store because it also had the matching Tandy Leather store right next door to it. The leather store closed down though sometime around 1982 or 1983, but the Radio Shack survived for a long time after.

25. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

You know, I was searching around online looking at maps trying to remember where that Allied Radio Shack store was in Fort Wayne.

I think it was where the Gleenbrook Square mall is now. There is/was a Radio Shack inside of that mall. It was either where that mall is now or just north of that on the other side of Coliseum Blvd. The old little shopping strip connected to the one side of the Kmart back then was always right off of Coldwater Rd. We lived just off of Washington Center Rd a few miles north of that.

The first time I ever went into that store in 1970 it already said Allied Radio Shack. What I'm thinking is it was probably an Allied Radio store originally and one of the first stores Radio Shack co-branded right after they bought them that year. What I'm remembering now was what they had for sale the very fist time I went in there started to look different the following year which would make sense. I remember that now because the very first project kit my dad bought me was an Allied kit then they later changed to RS's science fair kits after that.

Allied_RS.png

Anyway, don't know if we have any readers who lived in Fort Wayne back in those days, but that's what I remember. I also remember the free battery card I had that said Allied Radio Shack and when I gave it to one of the sales clerks years later in Tulsa when I found it again. It must have been like 1980 and the look on the guy's face was priceless. "Allied?" :lol: I still got my free battery though.