Audio Technica AT-LP1240-USB

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by W5HRO, Oct 17, 2017.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I ordered one of these turntables below. I bought it to start playing my old viynl LP's again and to also be able to rip them in digital format to make CD's for the car. It has the USB output.

1240.jpg

2. WQ5Q

WQ5Q Member

Let me know how you like it. I've been thinking about getting one. I want the same features. A lot of old vinyl here too.

3. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Ok here is it and it's really heavy (30 lbs) and very durable. That Teac I bought first and sent back was a real POS compared to this one.

IMG_2515.jpg

It has all of the DJ features too which I don’t need, but it might be fun to use reverse and play some albums backwards to see if anything is there. Didn’t the Beetles supposedly back-mask some of their records :lol:

4. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Dude lets put that turn table to the test how about some TOOL, Black sabbath, Rush, Neil Peart probably the best damn drummer around IMHO.

5. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

The first two, YUCK!!!

Maybe one today, but the best two drummers were John Bonham and Keith Moon. Moon was probably better technically than anyone, but nobody had Bonham’s speed or has since.

Most all rock drummers today don’t have that talent and are just showoffs. They have those big elaborate drum kits with big egos, but not one of them could sit down with a simple kit and keep on time like Charlie Watts, not one of them.

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

By the way the turntable was not cheap. It was $449 and without any cartridge. I found a cheap Audio Technica cartridge with the stylus on Amazon for $24, but I will eventually get a better one. Their turntables do not come with one so you have to buy it separately.

stylus.jpg

The other thing with these turntables too is you cannot hear anything when you are recording to your computer. I need to see if a DAC headphone amp can be inserted between the USB line. I think there is a way to do it, but all of the turntables with the USB outputs are the same. There was a cheap one on Amazon with small speakers on it, but I didn’t want that.

7. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I've come to the conclusion that I need a separate DAC capable of higher frequencies and bit rates. I did a lot of research where it said 48KHz at 16-bits was good enough, but obviously those articles I read were not written by audio people or engineers. I cannot get a good enough sound using the USB output the turntable has.

Anyway, since the turntable also has old style RCA phono outputs I’m going to find a good stereo receiver first to where I can hook up my old graphic equalizer that I still have then run the line outs from that into a good DAC for digitizing. That way I will also be able to hear what it’s recording at the same time.