ART-13 Transmitter

Discussion in 'Technical' started by W6MQI, May 20, 2016.

1. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It always is... I don't think I have ever done a ham project that went according to plan. Something extra always comes up and sometimes more than once.

2. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

It works! Still need to make up a new meter panel for the 0-50 meter to show volts instead ma, and the 0-2000 meter I may play with the number sizing a little bit see if I can make them a little larger.

20171113_200101.jpg 20171113_200106.jpg

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Power supply is completed except paint glad that project is done. Needed to pull the 837 oscillator tube to remove the audio module so I could change out some electrolytic caps, I succeeded in hitting the tube on the side of the transmitter case cracking the tube envelope :twisted:

20171114_174501.jpg 20171114_174520.jpg 20171114_174832.jpg 20171114_174927.jpg

4. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

5. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I had a spare NOS 837 I purchased awhile back so were good to go. Those mil grade sockets hold on tight even slowly pulling, and twisting at the same time the darn thing just let go all at once surprising me before I had control of the tube. Next time I'll support my arm a little better on the case to keep this from happening again might even put some card board inside the hole for protection. I fired up the ART-13 last night for a shake down run everything seems to work CW, and AM modes listen to myself on the 303 hearing some hum on my AM signal not sure what that's all about. Later this afternoon I tune up on 3975 and have a listen through W6DRZ SDR and see if I can hear it through his receiver hopefully not. Brian do you think my power supply is filtered enough on the LV, and HV supplies? Hans mentioned putting a choke on the HV CT line I didn't do that?

6. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Didn't get a chance to listen on air to the ART-13 today but, I did try another non amplified D-104 through a mixing board and things sounded okay on the 303. So maybe the other tug-8 D-104 is a POS? Anyway further testing needed hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to do an on air test during the day.

7. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Rain rain rain can't work today so I'll play radio instead. Did an on air test this mourning listening to myself through W6DRZ sounded fine audio seems a little pinched but, that maybe how these rigs sound I'll find out Sunday when I check into the military collectors net.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Did you ever change the resistor at the grid input of the mic amp tube like I mentioned a while back to accept the high Z of the D104? The D104 should also be the unamplified one.

9. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

No.. I totally forgot about that doing that still need to replace some caps in the audio module so I will take a look. Would be nice not to have to run the D-104 through a pre-amp one less peripheral box to deal with.

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Here, I found the post from the D104 topic and copied it here.

For the ART-13 just bypass transformer T201 and replace R205 with a 4.7Meg resistor. Then you can connect a non-amplified D104 directly to the grid of V201 via the mic jack. No need to really do anything else to get the mic to match the input. Make sure you disconnect T201 from the grid though as well.

ART-13_Mic_Input.png

11. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Just finished my first CW QSO on 40m click clack went the vacuum T/R switch the ART-13 isn't a transmitter for casual CW op's. The switching power supply for the 28Vdc definitely makes birdies on 80m in fact there's one right smack on 3870:icon_thumbdown: 3975 is okay. Might have to come up with a better 24-28Vdc linear supply the original supply the transformer buzzed real bad. I did put some 31 mix cores on the input, and output side of the switching supply not sure if it made any difference never did do a birdie check without the cores.

12. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Wasn't there a mod posted somewhere back in this thread for a simple solid-state modification to eliminate the poor stock CW keying?

13. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Yes there's two CW mods right now though I'm not willing to hack in and change things quite yet. The ART-13 is sorta of clumsy when it comes to frequency agility its best to park one self on a frequency then let the other station find you. Moving the PTO "B" control is like driving a 2d finish nail with 28oz framing hammer its doable but! you can only get so close so if the other guy is running tight filters he may miss you all together. Anyway its fun for nostalgia a CW QSO here and there is about it in my opinion.

P.S. For the 28v supply I should have just purchased the Astron LS-18A would have saved money in the long run oh well.

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

The solid-state CW mod and a couple axial lead zeners in the right place should help with that.

15. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Checked into the military collectors net this mourning conditions sucked. The ART-13 is doing just fine though at first I was having audio problems the mic element on the tug-8 I believe is porked more testing needed on this people said it sound really pinched with low audio. Switch to the non amplified D-104 going through a mixing board/pre-amp this sounded like pure crap, shit can that idea. Switched the element from the non amplified D-104 to the tug-8 base, cranked up the gain a little bit, and VOLA! she came alive now the plate meter is swinging like it should, and audio reports were excellent. I was having problems getting on the right frequency too first I was high then low gave up and just used my frequency counter to zero things in. All in all I'm elated its been a long road to get here, now for the BC-348-P project.

16. KX9DK

KX9DK Member

Hey Guys,

New to the forum. ART-13 discussion caught my attention.
    Here is my station. Go to my QRZ page for a bunch more pictures.

Dave
    KX9DK

17. KX9DK

KX9DK Member

oops, where's my picture. Must be doing it wrong

Dave

18. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

You must be trying to copy and paste a post from another board. The img bbcode tag is disabled here. Just upload the photos directly here instead.

19. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Hey Dave,
    Nice shack looks like we have some things in common ART-13, same initials, and cnc. I've been looking into getting a cnc router for a long time just haven't made the plunge ( no pun intended). Years ago I was training to be a machinist and took several cnc milling classes learning G code although I don't remember much anymore. I understand today the CAD software will write the G code for you? I worked for Sandia National labs for awhile and they had a 6 axis milling machine boy was that thing cool to watch, along with the stereolithograpy the original 3D printer. I saw some stuff that would blow your mind but are unmentionable here. Anyway your ART-13's look great let see one is setup for AM, and the other is setup for CW with a mod to bypass that noisy T/R relay? Your ART-13's don't have those pesky toilet seat covers over the jacks mine have the covers there sorta of a PIA to deal with sometimes I wish they weren't there. Were in the process of rebuilding a BC-348-P to pair with the ART-13 need to build a power supply, and a few other things to sort out yet before she's ready to go.
    Looks like you used the same Meanwell supply for the 28Vdc do you notice any RFI noise from it? Reason is I do with mine on 75m not real bad but there are birdies and right on 3870, and 3975 the two frequency I use. :icon_thumbdown: I have the supply mounted inside the metal power supply cabinet, the cabinet is grounded, the power cable going to the ART-13 is shielded, there's 31 mix cores on the input, and output leads of the meanwell supply, and the 120 Vac power cable going into the cabinet has a one of these integrated RFI filtered jacks. From what I've read everyone has been real happy with the Meanwell supplies maybe I just got a bum unit.

20. KX9DK

KX9DK Member

Yes, the ART-13 and ATC transmitters are a blast to operate. I run the ATC on 40 AM and the ART-13 on 75 AM. At first I was a little concerned about using the Meanwell 28v power supplies, but I'm using them with two power supplies and so far no issues. This is the first time I used toroidal power transformers. They worked out good.

21. Mikeinkcmo

Mikeinkcmo Member

I've used the VHT product for several projects over the last ten years or so with good results. They also have a Gray wrinkle I used on my last project, a 2-40D I recently finished.