$3000 Viking II

Discussion in 'Chat' started by W6MQI, Nov 17, 2015.

1. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

2. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

3. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Well we can guarantee that Viking will be collecting dust on their shelf for a while at least until they drop a zero off the price tag even that would be a little pricey still. Paid $10.00 for mine original price was $10.00 per pound I pulled a ten spot out of my wallet, and the seller said sold:mrgreen: When I croak and the wife or daughter throws everything in the garbage it won't be a big loss at $10.00.

4. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

I copied the photos to a different viewer. Those images blow up nicely. There is a massive amount of work done. I began to think this was the Viking II written about on this board, but NO, I didn't see any 50 watt zener diodes in the modulator screen circuit! :icon_eh:

Jim
    Wd5JKO

5. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Adding bottom side image...

V2.jpg

6. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It's just like buying a house in a crappy neighborhood. If you put too much money into fixing it up then you will probably never get it back and take a big loss when you try to sell it.

In this case though I think the guy has just had way too much time on his hands :icon_lolno:

7. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I notice they removed the big oil filled cap wonder why? Didn't think those ever went bad guess it could've been leaky maybe. Did those big old oil filled caps have PCB's in the oil?

Yes, but its hard to justify 3 grand one could maybe recoup the parts cost not ever hour of labor though.

8. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

One thing about the old Viking I's and II's is that 8uF oil cap was never big enough. You need around 20uf to 40uF in there especially if you beef up the audio and modulator a little. That plate supply will cave with only the 8uF oil cap.

9. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Look at the red capacitor on the bottom right. It appears to be two 100uf@450V in series, and is covered with red heat shrink. With a magic marker it is labeled 50 uf @ 900 vdc. There is also two tiny bleeder resistors on the top of the stated capacitor. I cannot tell if the junction of the two resistors is connected to the junction of the two capacitors. The big Johnson Bleeder is gone, and it is replaced with a power fet LV regulator. There is another fet series pass for the RF drive control circuit.

Jim
    Wd5JKO

10. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Remember these old pics of mine?

The 2 series 100uF +500V caps with 10uF 500V more across each one to equal 60uF total with the 15K Koolohm resistors for the voltage divider/bleeder, 30K total.

IMG_0248.jpg

Then the solid state relay for PTT control mounted where the oil cap was and the 50W zeners for the 807 screen regulation including the new Hammond driver transformer.

IMG_0244.jpg

The problem is even with 60uF on the HV supply it still drops down with some ripple once you beef the modulator up for full power. The plate transformer just isn't big enough for the 6146's and the 807's both after everything has been regulated.

I'm actually going to strip mine down and use the output network for my screen modulated driver for the 4-1000A amp. I may switch it to screen modulated 6146's instead of the single 4-65A. Johnson Viking transmitters are really more trouble than what they are worth. They don't call'em Junkston transmitters for nothing :mrgreen:

11. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Keeping all my Junkston gear stock its not worth the hassles. Let see I worked around three or four AM QSO's last year and none this year I live in a AM black hole. So to put all that time and money into modifying the Viking, or Valiant doesn't make sense for me I'll leave that for the next owner.
    CW is the mode of choice here tend to be a man of few words so operating AM doesn't work very well, it ceases to amaze me how long these AM op's can talk for, and slow too:icon_wtf: Gotta say though there sure are some nice sounding stations out there when I do hear AM in the black hole.

12. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Member

Back in the mid 1970's when a college kid, I took a Viking I and removed the modulator. Then I replaced the 4D32 with an 813 with socket mounted below deck, and used a FWB on the power supply. I had about 1500v loaded, and ran around 200 watts DC input with 150w out. I used an external plate modulator with a pair of 8417's into a Stancor 125 watt poly-pedance modulation transformer. It worked quite well on 160 and 80 meters. Grid drive was an issue on the upper bands. I had to neutralize the 813.

13. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

I worked on mine for a long time and I just needed to finish fix setting the 6146 control grid bias to keep the plate current from going backwards so far during modulation. It was going to be a really strange setting and I found the spot where it would only back up maybe 10mA to 20mA when modulating. The plate transformer just wasn't big enough after beefing up the 807's.

Anyway, the 6146 output tuning network with the roller inductor will work nicely for my screen modulated driver setup along with the exciter/driver tuning network so I'm just going to strip it down and use those parts and hardware then sell the front panel and whatever I don't need on eBay.

14. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

15. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

I was wondering how much my Johnson Valiant shipping box was worth at first I thought $.50, there's even original packing material included in mine ah heck $350.00 or more easy.

16. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Quote from W5HRO:

"They don't call'em Junkston transmitters for nothing :mrgreen:"

I know, I know, but when I was a JN, I wanted the V1 so bad I could taste it. It took all of my self-control to resist buying one and instead saved up for my first year in college instead.

Now I have not only a V1 but a V2 and am looking forward to getting them on the air for jollies.

Blissful, clueless youth, Al

17. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

Ken, W2DTC stripped the audio from a Viking to drive his humongous linears. He modulated the RF deck with a HIFI commercial solid state AF amplifier and controlled the RF drive with a variac (separate filament power source)

I still say that combo sounded better than his current Flex 5000 / linear station.

18. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

It’s just like the National NC-183D receiver. People drooled over those ads when it first came out, but when they finally were able to get one years later, what a disappointment. It was nothing more than an fancy unstable SW receiver with crappy AVC.

19. Gary Crandell

Gary Crandell Member

20. W6MQI

W6MQI Member

Since I wasn't interested in purchasing the Viking II (already own one) I didn't inquire about the unit in question I do apologize if I offended anyone. One thing is for sure PC is not my strong point been hammed more then once for this in the last 20 yrs working for the military, one could say we're a little rough around the edges at times. We have in the past talked with this seller about their other products for sale, and they have been up front, and prompt with information. Remembering price points of other refurbished radios of theirs in the past is this an attention getter maybe? I wish them success.

21. W1VTP

W1VTP Member

You didn't offend anybody. Just keep posting. It's fun

Al

22. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Not only that, but being politically correct means nothing to most of us, at least not to me. Who cares?

I also really don't care what that guy's motive on eBay is, but if he's trying to sell the Viking II for that price just to advertise his services, like saying "Hey, if you let me restore your radios then you can sell them for these high prices after" then that’s nothing more than misleading the ignorant public and is in fact dishonest. At the same time the guy may just not know any better and might actually believe it’s worth that price.

Whatever the case, it doesn’t matter and it is funny :biggrin:

23. Gary Crandell

Gary Crandell Member

T
    The 3000$ price makes you look at the listing out of curiosity. The pictures show the workmanship performed. I watched their listings for quite a while before I inquired about them. My actual sale price for the viking 2 outright, restored with improvements, was 1000$. A fair price for a unit and restoration to as good as new condition. I certainly didn't have the time to secure and restore one. I also don't have the experience to do the work first time correctly. I liked the work well enough to commission a 2nd viking 2 as a backup unit. They also do rangers and valients. They can get transformers rewound and cabinets and face plates repainted and silk screened as needed. The work is performed/contracted by W7DUZ in Cornelius, Oregon.

24. W5HRO

W5HRO Administrator

Yeah, but that V2 is now only worth around $500, maybe $750 max on a good day. $1000 is a real stretch. Although, you never know sometimes because there are some really clueless people on eBay like the Audiophools who spend outrageous amounts of money on crap. You just won't find many down to earth/reality hams who will.

And, to quote myself below...

25. Gary Crandell

Gary Crandell Member

I'm not concerned about the cost. I want a restored, turn key unit with no hassles. It's worth it to me for what extra cost there is as long as not way too unreasonable. I want that unit to play with. I'm not concerned about resale value. I'll probably never sell it.